History of Great Yeldham
High Street, Great Yeldham, c.1960
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Great Yeldham >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
YELDHAM, (GREAT) or Lower Yeldham, is a neat and pleasant scattered village, on the high road, and on the banks of the small river of Colne and two of its tributary streams, 7 miles North North West of Halstead, and 6 miles South South West of Clare.
Its parish contains 726 souls, and 1793 acres of land. The village is interspersed with trees and gardens, and surrounded by fine rural scenery; and at the place where the road branches of to Haverhill and Cambridge, stands Yeldham Oak, a large and venerable tree, the stem of which is 27 feet in circumference, and its height from the ground to the first branch is 12, and to the top 80 feet.
The trustees of the late Sir W.B. Rush, Bart., own a great part of the parish, and are lords of the manor of Yeldam Hall, now occupied by a farmer, and formerly belonging to the Jeffrey, Humphrey, Darcy, Dorewand, Plume, and other families.
John Way, Esq., is owner and lord of the manor of Spaynes Hall, or Spain's Hall, a fine old mansion, with pleasant grounds, on the east side of the river, and anciently belonging to the De Hispania, or Spain family, who gave their name to several other mansions in this county.
The Weld, Doreward, Walpole, Plume, Muilman, and Campbell families were successively owners of Spaynes Hall, and it was sold by the latter to the late J. Way, Esq.
Spencer Hall is the residence and property of Mrs. C. Way, and has a handsome modern mansion, erected by the late Viscountess Bateman, daughter of Charles Spencer, Earl of Sunderland. It was purchased in 1783, by Gregory Lewis Way, Esq.
Lovingtons is a farm belonging to Earl Amhurst, and was the seat of Sir Geofrey Amherst, governor of Quebec. Here are other estates, called Grapnells, Gunces, Butlers, etc.
St Andrew's Church, Great Yeldham.
© Copyright Keith Evans contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) is a handsome stone building, in the perpendicular style, with a stately tower containing six bells. It has a nave, north aisle and chancel, with a small chapel on the south side, in which there are monumental memorials of various members of the Symonds, Quarle, and other families.
A fine oak screen separates the nave and chancel, on which are carved the arms of the De Vere and other families who contributed towards the erection of the church. A handsome altar-piece, a painted window, and ornaments about the pulpit, were the gifts of the late Peter Muilman, Esq., who had a large estate here.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £20, and in 1831 at £426, is in the patronage of .the trustees of the late Sir W.D. Rush, and incumbency of the Rev. J.M. Cripps. M.A., who has 42A. of glebe, and an ancient residence. The tithes were commuted in 1842, for £608 per annum.
A National School is about to be erected here. The Free School for ten poor boys, occupies the site of an old tenement called Ford's which had been long held by the parish for charitable uses, but was converted into a school and master's house in 1692, when John Symonds, left for the support of a schoolmaster, a farm at Halstead, now let for £30 per annum.
There are also belonging to the school £250 three per cent. Reduced Annuities, and about £40 in the Savings' Bank, derived from savings of income, and the sale of some old buildings which adjoined the school house. The master has a yearly salary of £21, and the trustees supply coals and school books.
The school is near the church; and the old tenement called Ford's, is said to have been anciently supplied with utensils for the poor to cook their wedding dinners in.
The Almshouse, with an acre of land attached to it, ia divided into six tenements, occupied rent free by poor people; but according to a trust deed, dated 1658, it ought to be let, and the rent applied to the reparation of the church, bridges, and highways.
The Church Land, 2A., with two houses upon it, is let for £18.5s., and Tilbury Land, 1A. for £1.10s. a year. According to a trust deed, dated 1658, these rents are applied in repairing the church, and keeping up the causeways and foot-bridges of the parish.
The poor have £5.5s. per annum, as the rent of 3A. of land purchased in 1658, with £2O, left by Richard Mosely, and £5 out of the parish stock.
Back to History of Great Yeldham