History of Great Wigborough
St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough.
© Copyright Glyn Baker contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Great Wigborough >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WIGBOROUGH (GREAT) is a pleasant village, on an eminence overlooking the salt marshes and the ocean,7 miles South South West of Colchester, and 8 miles East by South of Kelvedon.
Its parish contains 479 inhabitants, and 2599 acres of land, exclusive of a portion of the saltings, which are covered by the tides at high water, and adjoin the Salcott creek.
Huntley Bacon, Esq., is lord of the manor of Abbot's Hall, which was held by Barking Nunnery, and afterwards by the Priory of St. Osyth, till 1540, when it was granted to Thomas, Lord Cromwell; but Queen Elizabeth gave it to the Duke of Norfolk. In 1640, it was sold to C. Chute, Esq., and it afterwards passed to the Guyon, Bollock, and other families.
P. Havens, Esq., T.N. Abdy, Esq., and several smaller owners have estates here; and the mansion of Abbot's Wic, stands in this parish, though most of the estate is in Virley. Near the church is an old manor house, called Moulsham, now occupied by a farmer.
The Church (St. Stephen,) is on a lofty hill, commanding extensive prospects; as also does the handsome Rectory House. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18.17s.6d., and in 1831 at £591, is in the patronage of Messrs. Brewer and Fookes, and incumbency of the Rev. Godfrey Bird, M.A. The glebe is 69A.39P., and the tithes have been commuted for £624 per annum. The Church Land is 9A., held of the manor of Barns Hall, and now let for £9 per annum.
Adjoining the Maldon road is an Independent Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1720.
Back to History of Great Wigborough