History of Great Wakering
High Street, Great Wakering, 1951
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Great Wakering >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WAKERING (GREAT) is a large village, pleasantly situated on rising ground above the marshes. One mile from the sea shore, 5 miles East South East of Rochford, and 4½ miles East North East of Southend. Its parish contains 860 souls, and 2755 acres of land, including the small Islands of Great Potton and Rushley, together with the other islands clustered in the eastern angle of this Hundred.
The lands round the village rise above the islands and marshes bordering on the sea and the creek, and the whole parish has a rich soil, in a high state of cultivation. The subsoil is clay, and at the depth of three feet is a white sand, and under it, in some places, is a reddish gravel.
The lordship was held by Suene, at the Norman Conquest, and after being forfeited by Henry de Essex, it passed to the noble family of Nevill. In 1421, it became the portion of Anne, Countess of Stafford, and by her third husband it passed to the Bourchiers.
Sir J.T. Tirell, Bart., of Boreham, is now lord of the of manor but Barrow Hall, Adam's Fee, Lovetots, and other estates, belongs to other proprietors. Barrow Hall farm is mostly in Little Wakering.
The Wakerings, who took their name from the parish, were seated here in the 15th and 16th centuries, at Barrow Hall, and a branch of them at Wakering Place. Adam's Fee belonged to Adam Fitz-Simon, and is vulgarly called Aldermans. Lovetots estate extends into Little Wakering, and is supposed to have been held by the ancient family of Lovetot.
A fair is held in the village on the 25th of July.
St Nicholas's Church, Great Wakering.
© Copyright Roger Jones contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Nicholas,) is a neat building, with a tower at the west end, containing four bells, and crowned by a spire. It was appropriated to Bileigh abbey, near Maldon. The vicarage valued in K.B.at £20.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £233, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Dodson. The tithes were commuted 1843.
The parish has a National School and an Independent Chapel
Back to History of Great Wakering