History of Great Sampford
St Michael's Church, Great Sampford.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Great Sampford >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
SAMPFORD, (GREAT) or Old Sampford, a pleasant village on the banks of the river Pant, 4½ miles North North East of Thaxted, and 7½ miles East by South of Saffron Walden, has in its parish 877 souls and 2247A.2R.9P. of land, including Tindon End, Grewser's Green, and many scattered farm houses, etc.
In Saxon times it formed part of the royal demesnes, but the Conqueror gave it Ralph de Guader, Duke of Norfolk and Suffolk. Lieut-General Sir W.C. Eustace is now lord of the manor, but J. and P. Portway, W. Stubbing, J. Chopping, and several other owners have estates here, mostly free and partly copyhold, subject to certain fines.
Sir J. N. McAdam, Kt., the celebrated improver of turnpike roads, has an ancient seat, with pleasant grounds at Tindon End, near the site of an ancient moated house, which was long a seat of the Giffords.
The Church (St. Michael,) is a large and handsome stone building, consisting of a nave and aisles, a chancel, and a square tower, containing five bells. A spacious Gothic arch separates the nave and chancel, and on either side of the latter are stone stalls, beautifully formed with clusters of three pillars supporting elegant trefoil arches, retiring into the thickness of the wall.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1831 at £264, with the curacy of Hempstead annexed to it, is in the patronage of Lieut-General Sir W.C. Eustace, and incumbency of the Rev. J.W. Carver, B.A., who has a good residence and 16A.3R.21P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1836, the vicarial for £129.4s.9d. and the rectorial for £517. The latter belong to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury.
Here is a Baptist Chapel, erected in 1802, and having 500 sittings.
The poor of this parish and Little Sampford have dividends of £200 three-and-a-half per cent. Bank Annuites, purchased with £200 left by Catherine Riley, in 1828.
Back to History of Great Sampford