History of Great Saling
St James' Church, Great Saling, 1903
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Great Saling >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
SALING (GREAT) is a neat village, on an eminence, 5 miles North West by West of Braintree, built round a large and pleasant green, shaded by rows of tall elms, forming an avenue to the church and the hall, where a highly pleasing and extensive prospect is presented. Its parish contains 349 souls, and 1651 acres of fertile land, having a hilly surface, rising from the small river Brain.
Mrs A. M. Fowke is lady of the manor of Great Saling Hall, and has a handsome modern seat here, called Saling Grove, standing in a well-wooded park; but a great part of the parish belongs to Guy's Hospital, and the Earl of Essex, Mr Charles Hicks, Mrs E Townsend, Mrs Edwards, and a few smaller owners. The ancient hall is now a farm-house.
The manor was successively held by the Wischard, Bibblesworth, Cotys, Carter, Raymond, and Goodrich families. The executors of the late B. Goodrich, Esq., sold it to the late W. Fowke, Esq.
The estate called Picotts was sold by the Lumleys to Guy's Hospital. Bleak-End Farm belongs to the Earl of Essex.
The Church (St. James,) is a small, neat structure, with two bells, and was appropriated at an early period to Little Dunmow Priory.
The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £148, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. B. Goodrich, M.A., who has a good residence and 8A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for the following rent-charges: £34 to Guy's Hospital; £56.18s.9d to the impropriator; £136.15s.6½d to the vicar; and £35 to the vicar of Felsted.
The parish school was built in 1842, by the present vicar.
The poor have an annuity of 20s., left by John Smith, in 1726, out of a house in Great Waltham. They have also the rent of the Town Land, 1A. 1R. 14P., given at an early period, and now let for £4 per annum.
Post Office, at T. Morecraft's. Letter's desp.4¾ aftn., via Braintree
Back to History of Great Saling