History of Great Hallingbury
Hallingbury Place. Print published 1818.
Image courtesy of British Library on Flickr. NKCR
History of Great Hallingbury >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
HALLINGBURY (GREAT) is a pleasant village, delightfully situated on the eastern acclivities of the vale of the river Stort, 2 miles East by South of Bishop Stortford. Its parish extends westward to the North Eastern Railway and the borders of Hertfordshire, and contains 690 inhabitants, and 2,639 acres of land, rising in bold undulations from the river, and including How Green, Woodside Green, and several scattered farm houses, etc.
For a considerable time it was held by the noble family of Morley, of whom it was purchased about 1721, by Jacob Houblon, Esq. The present lord of the manor and owner of nearly of all the soil, is John Archer Boublon, Esq., of Hallingbury Place, an elegant and stately mansion, occupying a commanding eminence, in an extensive and beautiful park, well wooded, and embellished with a fine sheet of water.
The mansion is a large quadrangular building, with small low towers at the angles, and has been much improved by the Houblon family. It was long a seat of the Lords Morley and Monteagle, to one of whom was sent the mysterious letter which let to the discovery of the Gunpowder Plot.
At Woodside Green is held a fair for toys, etc., on Whit-Tuesday.
The farm called Wallbury, has its name from a Roman vallum, which terminated in a precipice above the River Stort, and enclosed an area of 36 acres. The estate called Monksbury, was given by Eudo Dapifer to St. John's Abbey, Colchester.
St Giles's Church, Great Hallingbury.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church is a small handsome structure, with a nave and chancel of one pace, and an embattled tower containing five bells. It contains several monumental inscriptions in memory of the Lords Morley and Monteagle.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22, and in 1831 at £646, is in the patronage of J.A. Houblon, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. C.S. Bourchier, M.A., who has a good residence and 58A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £720 per annum.
The poor have the interest of £20, left by an unknown donor, and a yearly rent-charge of 14s. left by John Till, out of land now belonging to the Francis and Welch families.
print published 1834
Back to History of Great Hallingbury