History of Great Easton
The Ford, Great Easton, 1951
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Great Easton >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
EASTON, (GREAT) a pleasant village, on a gravelly acclivity, on the east side of the river Chelmer, 3 miles North North West of Dunmow, has in its parish 929 souls, and 2537 acres of land, including the estate and neat village of DUTTON HILL, and several scattered farm houses.
Viscount Maynard is lord of the manor, which was held by Matthew Mauritaniensis, at the Norman Survey, and afterwards passed to the Clinton, Moyne, Stourton, Warren, and Cromwell families. The latter sold it to an ancestor of the present owner. The Rev. Sir A. B. Henniker.
Mrs. Collett, T. Kearsey, Esq.; Sir J. Fitzgerald, and several smaller owners have estates here. About two-thirds of the parish are freehold.
The estate, called Blamsters, is the property of the occupier, William Josling, Esq., and anciently belonged to a family of its own name, but afterwards passed to the Strange, Stourton, Kendall, and Taleure families.
Tiltey Abbey had a grange here, called Crays, which, after the dissolution, passed to the Gunter, Lewis, Fitch, and Meade families. One of the latter built a neat brick house at Dutton Hill, in 1721.
St John and St Giles's Church.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. John,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It is built chiefly of flint, and stands on a commanding eminence. In the interior are many monumental inscriptions, one of which is in memory of the Rev. Thomas Cecil, a former rector, who wrote several theological works, and died in 1627.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £598, is in the patronage of Viscount Maynard, and incumbency of the Rev. Paul Saumarez, for whom the Rev. T. R. Walne, B.A., officiates. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £765 per annum.
Here is a small Independent Chapel, and the following Charities:- In 1759, Rebecca Meade gave for the foundation of a Free School, for the education of ten poor girls, of Great Easton, a farm of 35A., in this parish, and 12A. of land, at Weathersfield; then worth £30, but now let for £60 a year. The school was held in a hired building, but in 1833, Viscount Maynard gave five roods of land, on condition that the trustees would build a school room upon it, at the cost of about £120, which they had then in hand for that purpose.
In consequence of the increased value of the endowment the schoolmistress teaches 30 free scholars, but only ten of them are clothed at the expense of the charity. She has a yearly salary of £26, and the trustees provide school books, and pay £2 a year to the rector for superintending the school.
In 1761, Charles, Lord Maynard, gave three houses for the free residence of the parish clerks of Tiltey and Great and Little Easton, and charged the lords of the manor of these parishes with the reparation of the said houses. He also gave a yearly rent-charge of £5, out of Great Easton Hall estate, for the education of 12 poor boys of Great and Little Easton.
The Schoolmaster occupies rent-free a house and garden, belonging to Viscount Maynard, and also receives from him a yearly gratuity of £4. He is allowed to take about 30 other boys besides the 12 free scholars on Lord Maynard's foundation, and four taught for £3 a year, paid him as the rent of the Workhouse Field, which was given by an unknown donor.
In 1825, Mrs. Jane Brock left £100, to be invested for repairing her husband's monument, and the surplus for poor widows. It was laid out in the purchase of £108.6s.8d. three per cent. Bank Annuities. The Churchwardens have an acre in Bexell Mead, in Thaxted parish.
print published 1834
Back to History of Great Easton