History of Great Chishill (formerly in Essex)
St Swithin's Church, Great Chishill
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Great Chishill >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CHISHALL (GREAT) is a pleasant village and parish, at the north-western extremity of Essex, 9 miles West by North of Saffron Walden, and 4 miles East South East of Royston.
It has a hilly surface, and contains 466 souls, and 2618 acres of land, which was held at Domesday Survey by Geofrey de MandevilLe and Roger Othurville.
Lord Dacre owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the principal manor, but John Hope Wilkes, Esq., is lord of the manor of Farance Fee, impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B at £10, and in 1831 at £180, and now enjoyed by the Rev. H.H. Hastie, B.A., who has a good residence. The tithes were commuted for allotments or land at the enclosure in 1818, when 137 acres were awarded to the vicar.
The Church (St. Swithin,) is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and side aisles, a chancel, and square tower. containing five bells, and crowned with a small spire.
It was appropriated to Walden Priory, by Geofrey de Mandeville, in 1136, and was granted to Sir Thomas Audley, at the dissolution. From the Audleys the rectory and advowson passed to the Howard and Cooke families, and were sold in 1739, to Nathaniel Wilkes, Esq.
The poor parishioners have yearly 13s. from Martin's Charity, 5s. left by Thomas Witcham, in 1624, out of a house at Chrishall; £1.16s.8d. as the rent of three roods of land, left in 1627, by George Langley; and
£2.8s.8d. from 2A.lR.27P., allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of land left by Richard Dale, in 1620, and George Bownest, in 1650.
Back to History of Great Chishill