History of Great Canfield
St. Mary's Church, Great Canfield.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Great Canfield >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CANFIELD, (GREAT) a pleasant village, on the banks of the river Roding, 4 miles South West by South of Dunmow, has in its parish 496 souls, and 2471 acres of land.
From the time of the Conquest till the reign of Henry VIII., it was held by the noble family of Vere, who had a castle here, on an artificial mound, which is now planted with trees, and still encompassed by a deep moat enclosing about two acres.
The manor was sold by Edwd. Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford, to John Wiseman, Esq., who had previously purchased the park, which contained 260 acres. It was held by the Wisemans till 1733, and now belongs to J. M. Wilson, Esq., who has a neat residence here, with extensive pleasure grounds, called Fitzjohns.
Messrs. D. and J. H. Alger, and Isaac Bird, and several smaller owners, have estates here, mostly free and partly copyhold.
Post Office, Great Canfield
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Church is a plain antique fabric, with a nave and chancel of one pace, and a short stone tower, containing four bells, and crowned by a slender wooden spire.
Alberic de Vere, the first Earl of Oxford, appropriated it to Hatfield Regis Priory. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13, and in 1831 at £140, is in the patronage of J. M. Wilson, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. J. P. Gurney, M.A., who has a good brick residence. The tithes were commuted in 1847, the vicarial for £132, and the rectorial for £345.8d. per annum. The latter belong to the patron, who supports a school for poor children.
Back to History of Great Canfield