History of Great Baddow
St Mary the Virgin Church, Great Baddow.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Great Baddow >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
GREAT BADDOW, one of the handsomest villages in Essex, is pleasantly situated nearly 2 miles East South East of Chelmsford, on the Maldon road, and on the south-side of the fertile vale of the Chelmer. Its parish includes a large portion of GALLEYWOOD COMMON, on which it has a small village and chapel of ease, about 2½ miles South of Chelmsford, near the Race Course.
It also comprises many scattered farms and neat houses. It increased its population from 1,445 souls in 1801, to 2,022 in 1841; and comprehends 3,621 acres of fertile land, skirted on the north by the river Chelmer. About two thirds are arable, 30A. wood, 30A. waste, and 1,052A., in pasturage.
J.A. Houblon, Esq., is lord of the manor, which was purchased in 1736, of the Paschals, who held it in the reign of Edward VI. In Saxon times it was held by the Earls of Mercia. It afterwards passed to the Crown, and was one of the manors granted by Henry VIII. to his Queen, Katharine of Arragon.
A great part of the soil is copyhold, belonging to various owners. The farms called Great and Little Sir Hughes, and Sebright, had their names from Sir Hugh de Baddow, and the Sebright family, who were seated here at an early period.
The Church (Virgin Mary) is a large ancient structure, with a massive flint tower at the west end, finely mantled with ivy, containing eight bells, and surmounted by a tall spire.
The body consists of a nave and aisles, and a chancel with a south aisle, and is a fine specimen of the decorated, or early English style, but has undergone many repairs. It has a western gallery and an organ. The font is new, but the pulpit is dated 1639. The side gallery, with 196 sittings, was erected in 1832.
The benefice is a vicarage, va1ued in K.B. at £18.6s.8d., and in 1831, at £445. Mrs. Bullen is patrones, and her son, the Rev. A.W. Bullen, incumbent. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £460, and the rectorial tithes for £567 per annum. The latter belong to J.A. Houlbon, Esq.
There were formerly two chantries in the church, founded by Margaret Coggeshall and Thomas Kille. One was valued at the dissolution at £20.16s.8d., and the other at £14.13s.4d.
In the parish was a free chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and its possessions were granted in 1557, to John Drake and others; and are supposed to have comprised lands called "Peirce at Mead and le Vynes."
Alexander Barclay, D.D., one of the most learned writers and translators of the l6th century, was vicar here in 1546.
Subscriptions are raised yearly, for the sale of coals, at reduced prices, to the poor parishioners, and in aid of their Clothing Club.
There is also a District Visiting Society, for supplying the destitute with meat and groceries.
The parish has a Free School, National Schools, and various charities for the poor. An annual pleasure fair is held here on May 14th.
Great Baddow Brewery
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Free School was founded in 1731, by Jasper Jeffrey, who built the school, and purchased the master's house. For the gratutous education of 20 poor boys, and providing them with books, he bequeathed more than £1,000, which was laid out in the purchase of Pynnings Farm, 121A.1R.6P. at Hanningfield, now let for about £150.
The chanty has also a sum of £125 three per cent. Consols purchased with savings of income, in 1835. Besides the use of the house and garden, the master has a yearly salary of £50.
The rates and taxes are paid by the trustees, and they allow him 54 bushels of coals yearly. He is required to teach reading, writing, arithmetic, history and geography, to 25 free scholars, who are are provided with books and stationery. The Rev. J. Bramston and others, are the trustees.
The National Schools, in Great Baddow, were built in 1830, and are attended by about 150 children. They are supported by subscription, and the dividends of £375 three and a half per cent. Reduced Annuities, given by Mrs. Henrietta Pugh, for the support of Day and Sunday Schools in this parish.
At Galleywood Common, is a building used as a Chapel of Ease, and an Infant School, attended by about 80 day scholars. The Church Land, 8A.3R. is let for £35.10s., and has been long vested in trust, for the repairs of the church.. The overseers have a yearly rent charge of 10s. out of a field called Warren's Hope, belonging to the lord of the manor.
The Parish Clerk has a house and garden near the churchyard, and a yearly sum of £5 from the lord of the manor, in lien of common right.
Five Almshouses, occupied rent free by poor families, were given in 1773, in lieu of two copyhold tenements, which had become forfeited to the lord of the manor.
In, 1636, Ellen Sydner left a yearly rent charge of £5.4s. out of farm called Great Sir Hughes, for a weekly distribution of bread among the poor parishioners, who have, for the same purpose, the following yearly sums, viz.: £5 left by Roger Reader, in 1693, out of a house and land called Pitt Place; £2.0s.8d. given by an unknown Donor, out of property belonging to Chelmsford Grammar School; and £2.12s. left by an unknown Donor, out of Peirce Farm, which is also charged with 20s., a year for sermon on Good Friday. These bread charities are distributed by the churchwardens.
Mrs. Henrietta Pugh, in 1804 and '8, gave £200 to the vicar, in trust for the relief of poor parishioners not receiving aid from the poor rates. This sum was laid out in the purchase of £319.17s. three per cent. Consols.
In 1822, Marshall Straight bequeathed to the vicar and churchwardens, £276.10s.1Od.. three per cent. Consols in trust., to distribute the dividends in bread, among the poor, on the 25th of March, and 21st of December.
The dividends of £26 of the same stock, left by Thomas Trumble, in 1824, are distributed among poor women attending the church.
Back to History of Great Baddow