History of Goldhanger
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Goldhanger >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
GOLDHANGER, a neat and pleasant village, at the head of a short creek, on the north side of the estuary of the Blackwater, 4 miles East North East of Maldon, has in its parish 520 souls, and 21l0A. of land.
The village has a fair for toys on Whit-Monday, and a great part of the parish is low and marshy, but on the north side the surface rises gently, and the soil is a gravelly loam.
George Nottidge, Esq., is lord of the manor, called Totham-with-Goldhanger, but a great part of the soil belongs to H.C. Coape. Esq., the Rev. T. Leigh, Sir R.M. Rolfe, and several smaller owners, and is occupied partly by farmers residing in neighbouring parishes.
This parish was anciently called Goldangre, and includes the small manors called Follifaunts and Fawlty, and several scattered farm-houses.
Several small hills are supposed to be Danish barrows, as human bones, tiles, etc., have been found in some of them.
St. Peter's Church, Goldhanger
© Copyright Derek Voller contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Peter) is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, south chapel, and porch, with an embattled stone tower, containing four bells. The nave is in the early English style, but the chancel and porch are mostly of the Tudor period. In the chapel, or south chancel, is a tomb in memory of Thomas Heigham, who died in 1531.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £25.14.9d., and in 1831 at £403, with that of Little Totham annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Leigh, M.A., and incumbency of the Rev. C.B. Leigh, M.A., who has a good residence, and 29A.2R. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842, for £612 per annum.
The Parish School is in a building, recently purchased by the patron.
Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1839.
Back to History of Goldhanger