History of Fyfield
Main Road, Fyfield, c.1955
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Fyfield >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FYFIELD, a village and parish in the vale of the river Roding, 3 miles North North East of Chipping Ongar, and 9 miles West of Chelmsford, contains 563 souls, and 2390 acres of land.
In old records it is variously spelt Fyfhide, Fishide, etc. At the Norman survey it belonged to the Earl of Boulogne aDd John Waleron, and it afterwards passed to the Tani, Scrope, Wentworth, Child, and other families.
The Earl of Mornington is now lord of the manor of Fyfield Hall, but Herons, Lampetts, Whitney Green, and other estates, belong to Lord Dacre, Rev. J.B. Stane, E.F. Maitland, Esq., and several smaller owners.
St Nicholas's Church, Fyfield.
© Copyright mym contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Nicholas,) is an ancient structure, except the tower, which rises between the nave and chancel, and was rebuilt of wood, some years ago, after the old one had been blown down.
One of the five bells is inscribed "Sancto Catharina ora pro nobis." In the south wall of the chancel are three arches, rising above each other, and supported by two columns of grey marble. The east window is decorated with ancient carvings in stone.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £25.7s.6d., and in 1831 at £503, is in the patronage of the Earl of Mornington, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Gibson, B.A., who has a good residence, and 64A. of glebe. The tithes were oommuted in 1841.
Dr. A. WALKER, a former rector of this parish, in 1687 1eft two dwelling houses, with gardens, etc., for the free occupation of the parish clerk and the sohoolmaster; and he also left for the support of a Free School for poor children, and for distributions of bread and bibles, a farm of 56A.2R.32P., at High Ongar, let for £45, and an orchard in this parish, let for £2.7s.
The School was built in 1819, at the cost of £170, derived from savings of the charity income. There are generally about 30 free scholars, and about half of them are girls. The master has a yearly salary of £32, and the rest of the income is expended in repairs, the purchase of books and stationery for the scholars, and in other incidental expenses, except the yearly sum of £2.12s. for a weekly distribution of one shilling's worth of bread, and £2 for a distribution of bibles to poor families. The rector is one of the trustees.
In 1751, John Collins, left for the poor of Fyfield, 8A. of land, at Moreton, let for £5, and directed £2.12s. per annum to be divided among them in a weekly distribution of 1s. worth of bread, and the rest of the rent to be given to them on the Sunday after Christmas Day.
The Churchwardens hold three houses and two pieces of land, let for about £13, and three rent-charges, amounting to 6s.5d. per annum, but the donors are unknown.
Back to History of Fyfield
Are your ancestors from Fyfield? Why not tell us their story: My Fyfield Ancestors.