History of Fryerning
Fryerning, the Village, c.1965
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Fryerning >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FRYERNING parish adjoins and includes more than a third of the small town of Ingatestone, which has a Post office, and a station on the Eastern Counties Railway. 23 miles North East of London.
Its church, and some of its houses, are on an acclivity, about 1 mile North West of Ingatestone. It contains 807 inhabitants, and 3,830 acres of land, including 180A. of wood, and a rich tract of pasture grounds.
The manor, with a great part of the soil, belongs to Wadham College, Oxford, by gift of the founder, Sir Nicholas Wadham, William Kortwright, John Dawson, Henry Arundell, and Charles Grant, Esqrs., have estates and neat houses in the parish, and here are several smaller owners, chiefly copyholders.
St Mary's Church, Fryerning.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Mary,) is a brick structure of the 15th century, and has a strong tower and five bells. The staircase, which led to the rood-loft, still remains, and the fabric has recently been thoroughly repaired.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £9, and in 1831 at £292, is in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Wadham Col1ege, and incumbency of the Rev. George Price, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £385 per annum; and there is a good Rectory House.
The Churchyard commands extensive views, and contains the remains of the Disney family, of the Hyde.
Half of the parish was given by Gilbert de Monthehen to the Knight Hospitallers of St. John, of Jerusalem; and its name is supposed to be a corruption of Friar's-ing.
St. Leonard's is the pleasant seat of Capt. William Kortwright. For distribution in bread, the poor parishioners have the following yearly sums, viz: -£3 from Bright's, and £1.10s. from D'Oyley's Charities, both paid, by the Corporation of the Sons of Clergy; £3 from £100 three per cent. Consols, left by Rosamond Bonham, in 1805; and £3.10s. from £100 three and a half per cent. Reduced Annuities, left by Robert Sorrell, M.D., in 1805.
The late W.G. Coesvelt, Esq., of St. Leonards, in 1841, left £250 in trust, to apply the interest in clothing the deserving poor.
Back to History of Fryerning