History of Frinton
Grand Hotel, Frinton-on-Sea, 1891
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Frinton >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FRINTON, a small parish on the sea-coast, 2½ miles South South West of Walton on the Naze, has only 44 inhabitants, 470 acres of land, four houses, and a few cottages.
It is said to have anciently had a village, which was washed away by the ocean, at least two centuries ago, and since then the sea has continued to encroach annually upon the land, by undermining the cliffs. Pyrites used formerly to be gathered on the beach, for the manufacture of copperas.
Miss Charlotte Lushington is lady of the manor of Frinton, Skyrman's fee, and the other principal landowners are Rt. Hills, Esq., E. H. Reynards, Esq., and the representatives of the late I. S. Brown.
The old Hall was pulled down about 1720, and its site is now in the sea. The present Hall is occupied by a farmer, and the three other houses are the Parsonage (a small cottage, occupied by a labourer,) the Wick, and the Battery House.
In one of them lived the celebrated Cornelius de Tulbury, who, among other exploits, swallowed considerable quantities of poison without injury. The famous Capt. Bushell, distinguished for his extraordinary success in fishing for wrecks, was long resident here.
St Mary's Church, Frinyon-on-Sea.
© Copyright Alexander P Kapp contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Of the ancient Church, standing on the cliff, about 300 yards from the sea, only part of the west end remains, the remainder having been destroyed by a storm in 1703.
The rectory, valued in K. B. at £7. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £180, is in the patronage of E. H. Reynard, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Vyvian Luke, for whom the Rev. J. L. Kirby, of Little Clacton, officiates. The glebe is 28A., and the tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £150 per annum.
The Farmers are, Richard Stone, Hall; Joseph Sadler, Lodge; and Charles Theedam, Wick.
Back to History of Frinton