History of Frating
Frating Village Hall, Frating
© Copyright Roger W Haworth contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Frating >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FRATING, 6 miles East South East of Colchester, is a pleasant village and parish, containing 271 souls and 1233 acres of land, bounded on the east and west by two rivulets, which run to the creeks of Alresford and Brightlingsea.
A large portion of it is in the manors of Great Bromley, Moverons, and Wix, and the rest is in the manor of Frating Hall, which belongs to Caius College, Cambridge.
The other principal landowners are P. Thompson, J. Boghurst, W. Caldecott, Miss Adams, R. Bacon, W. Cant, and B. Brown, Esq.
The parish is called Fretingham in Domesday Book, and part of it was held of the Honor of Tutbury, by the Ferrers family.
Frating Church (now a private house), Frating
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church is a small structure, in the early English style, and a new window has recently been inserted at the east end.
The rectory, valued in K. B. at £10, and in 1831 at £809, with that of Thorrington annexed to it, is in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Duffield, B.D., who was appointed 1832, and has a large and handsome Rectory House, of white brick, encompassed by beautiful pleasure grounds, laid out and planted with great taste. The advowson was purchased by St. John's College, about 1744. The glebe is 41A., and the tithes of Frating have been commuted for £345 per annum.
The poor parishioners have a house given by an unknown donor, and several garden plots, enclosed from the waste many years ago.
Back to History of Frating