History of Foxearth
St Peter and St Paul's Church, Foxearth, 1904
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Foxearth >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FOXEARTH, a small village, in a pleasant valley, 4 miles North West by North of Sudbury, has in its parish 474 souls, and 1582A. of land.
Richard Lambert, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Col. Meyrick, the Trustees of Dr. Clopton's Hospital, at Bury St. Edmund's, Mr. M. R. Langdale, Mr. S. Viall, and a few small owners.
Foxearth Hall, occupied by a farmer, is a fine old mansion, encompassed by a moat, and formerly the seat of the Bures and other families. The ancient mansion of Westons, or Brook Hall, stood near the green, where many human bones have been dug up on the site of a chapel.
St Peter and St Paul's Church (interior), Foxearth.
© Copyright Keith Evans contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church is a neat building, with a tower and three bells, and is now being thoroughly restored and beautified, at the expense of the Rev. John Foster, M.A., the patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £10.4s.4½d., and in 1831 at £411.
He has erected an elegant south porch, in memory of his late lamented wife, and has enriched the east window, and some of the side windows, with stained glass. The glebe is 27A.,and the rectory-house is a commodious old mansion, with pleasant grounds.
A National School is about to be erected; and here is a small Independent Chapel, built in 1787.
The poor parishioners have 13s.4d. yearly out of Lang Meadow; and 20s. as the rent of the Town Wood Acre; but the donors are unknown. The rent of half an acre, let for 30s., is applied in finding bell ropes.
Back to History of Foxearth