History of Fordham
Three Horseshoes P.H, Fordham
© Copyright Andrew Hill contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Fordham >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FORDHAM, a pleasant village on the north side of the river Colne, 6 miles West North West of Colchester, and 7½ miles East South East of Halstead, has in its parish 739 souls, and about 2000 acres of land, including 30A. of open heath.
It is sometimes called Great Fordham, to distinguish it from Aldham, or Little Fordham, on the opposite of the river.
Onley Savill Onley, Esq., is lord of the manor of Great Fordham and the Frith; and Earl de Grey is lord of the manor of Fordham Hall. Under the Conqueror, these manors were held by Hugh de Gurnai, William of Warren, and Richard Fitz-Gilbert.
All Saints' Church, Fordham
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Church (All Saints,) stands on elevated ground, and has a nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square tower at the west end, containing three bells, and surmounted by a lofty wooden spire, which is seen at a great distance. The roof is now covered with tiles, the lead having been stripped off in the civil wars, for the manufacture of bullets.
In 1549, Edward Vl., granted a free chapel here to Ralph Agard and Thos. Smyth.
The rectory valued in K.B. at £14.4s.2d., and in 1831 at £605, is in the alternate patronage of Earl de Grey and O. S. Onley, Esq., and is now enjoyed by the Rev. W. H. Herring, B. A., who has 25A. 1R. 30P. of glebe, and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £560 per annum.
The poor have £2.10s. yearly from Love's Charity, (see Aldham) and the parish clerk has a rood of land given by an unknown donor.
In 1797, Wm. Ellis bequeathed £1000 upon trust, to invest the same in the purchase of property, and to apply the yearly proceeds as follows: £10 to the minister of Lady Huntington's Chapel, at Fordham; 20s. to the clerk; 40s. to the person who teaches singing in the chapel; 40s., for distribution in bread, at Christmas among the poor of the congregation; £10 to the minister, or any other person, for teaching ten poor children reading, writing, and accounts; and to expend the residue in painting and repairing the said chapel, which was built about 1790, chiefly at the cost of Robert Spark, who also left £700 to be invested for the benefit of the minister.
Mr. Spark, having Ellis's legacy in his own hands, charged the payment of both sums (£1700,) on a farm of 85A., called Howe's or Godfrey's, which he bequeathed to the Rev. John Harris, the late minister. In respect of these charities, this farm is now charged with yearly rent of £75. Messrs. Eisdell, Chaplin, Savill, and others, are the trustees, and the Rev. J. F. James is minister of the chapel, which is a neat building, with about 300 sittings, and has a house and school attached.
Back to History of Fordham
Are your ancestors from Fordham? Why not tell us their story: My Fordham Ancestors.