History of Fingringhoe
St Andrew's Church, Fingringhoe.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Fingringhoe >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FINGRINGHOE is a pleasant village on the south side of the Roman river, and the west side of the vale of the Colne, 4 miles South South East of Colchester.
It has a pleasure fair on Easter Monday, and its parish contains 581 souls, and 2863 acres of land, extending more than a mile eastward to the banks of the river Colne, where there is a ferry to Wivenhoe; and southward to the salt marshes, bordering on two small creeks of the Colne Fishery, called North and South Geedon.
The manor was granted by Edward the Confessor to the abbey of St. Oven, in Normandy, which had a cell or priory at Mersea. In 1414, Henry the Fifth gave it to the Archbishop of Canterbury, who made it part of the endowment of his college at Higham Ferrers. Henry VIII. gave it to Robert Dacres, Esq., and from his family it passed to the Darcy, Savage, and other families.
Sir Robert Affleck, Bart., is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Sir G.H. Smyth, Bart., Major Brock, Rev. Robert Firmin, Mr. B. Page, and several smaller owners, mostly copyhold subject to certain fines. The hall is now a farm-house.
On the Wick farm, old coins, foundations of buildings, and other ancient relics, have often been found; as well as beds of oysters, at a considerable depth below the surface.
St. Andrew's Church, Fingringhoe
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a fine antique fabric, with a nave, chance1, side aisles, and a tower of flint and stone.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13.7s., and in l831 at £140, is in the incumbency of the Rev. J.M. Leir, B.A., and patronage of Mrs. Firmin and Mrs. F.O. Kelly. The latter is alao impropriator of the rectory. There is no vicarage house, and the glebe is only 7A. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £398, and the vicarial for £l76 per annum.
The Church Lands, given by unknown donors, at an early period; and the Poor's Lands, given by Giles Sayer, in 1708, are copyhold; and the trustees for many years applied all the rents in repairing the church, but in 1832 the property was divided.
That belonging to the church now consists of 10A.2R.8P., let for £11; and that belonging to the poor comprises 8A.1R.20P., let for £10.10s., and eight tenements, with gardens,let to the overseers for £10, and occupied by poor families. There is also an allotment of 2A.lR.5P., awarded at the enclosure, in 1816, and let for £2, which is divided equally between the church and poor.
For weekly distribution of bread, the poor have a yearly rent-charge of 52s., left by George Frere, in 1655, out of the manor.
Back to History of Fingringhoe
Are your ancestors from Fingringhoe? Why not tell us their story: My Fingringhoe Ancestors.