History of Feering
All Saints' Church, Feering.
© Copyright Bikeboy contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Feering >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FEERING, a small pleasant village, on the east side of the vale of the river Blackwater, and nearly half a mile north of the London road, is distant 1½ mile North East of Kelvedon, and 9 miles West South West of Colchester.
From Kelvedon station; on the opposite side of the river, the Eastern Counties Railway runs between the village and the turn-pike road, and is here crossed by three bridges.
Feering parish is in Witham Union, and includes a suburb of Kelvedon, at Gorepit and the Bridge, as well as many scattered houses, and the small village of Feering Hill. It contains 817 inhabitants, and 3232 acres of land, rising in gentle undulations from the river, and one of its tributary streams. Some of it is considered equal in fertility to any in the county.
At the Domesday survey, it was called Pheringas and Feeringbury, and was held by Ralph Peverell and the Abbot of Westminster. The latter held the larger manor of Feeringbury, which has been long held on lease under the Bishop of London, and bas an old manor house, said to have been occasionally occupied by Bishop Ridley and his successor, Bishop Bonner, to whom the manor was given by Edward VI. and Queen Mary.
J.C. Raven, Esq., is lord of the manor of Prested Hall, which was formerly held by the Peverell, Weston, Tindall, and other families.
Two farm-houses, called Chambers and Howchins, give names to small manors.
T.B. Western, Esq., is impropriator of the rectorial tithes of the parish, and the rest belong to the Earl of Denbigh, R.A. Woodward, Esq., and the Skingley family, who have also estates in the parish. Here are also several smaller free and copyholds.
The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient building, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a fine tower of flint and freestone at the west end, in the perpendicular style, containing five bells.
The south wall of the nave, and the porch, are of fine red brick, in the style of the sixteenth century, and having a beautiful niche over the south door. The north side of the nave is formed by arches and handsome clustered pillars, in the decorated style. The chancel arch is in the semi-Norman style, and has recently been restored, the only remains of the original being the springings and parts of the capitals.
The chancel is an example of the early, and the north aisle of the late decorated styles. The latter has some handsome windows filled with tracery, and in one of them is a fragment of stained glass. In the north wall is a tomb of red brick.
The interior has recently been thoroughly cleansed, and newly fitted up with low open oak benches, ornamented with tracery and buttresses; and the ends of those in the chancel are finished with carved poppy beads. The walls have been painted in oil colour, according to the original pattern, and the whole interior has now a clean and handsome appearance.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £11, and in 1831 at £227, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Drummond, M.A., who has about 8A. of glebe, and a neat white brick residence, commanding a fine view of the vale of the Blackwater river. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for about £536, and the vicarial for £253 per annum.
Here is a National School, supported by subscription and the children's pence.
An ancient mansion, near Kelvedon Bridge, is now a beerhouse, and has some fine wainscoting in one of its rooms.
Back to History of Feering
Are your ancestors from Feering? Why not tell us their story: My Feering Ancestors.