History of Farnham
St. Mary's Church, Farnham
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Farnham >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
FARNHAM, or Fernham, a scattered village at the south end of this Hundred, 2½ miles North by West of Bishop Stortford, has in its parish 549 souls, and 1966A. of land, bounded on the west and south by Hertfordshire, and on the east by the river Stort.
The manor of Farnham Hall, or Earlsbury, belongs to Cpr. T.Towers, Esq., and was formerly held by the Earls of Essex, and afterwards by the Gaal, Quarles, Yonge, and Hale families. He also owns the manor called Walkfares. Other estates here, called Hertishobury, or Hassobury, etc., belong to Robert Gosling, the Earl of Essex, Miss E.F. Horsley, and a few smaller owners.
The Church (St, Mary,) is a small building, of flint and mortar, with a tower and five bells. The nave is of one pace with the chancel, and has a cross aisle.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £23.8s.9d., and in 1831 at £518, is in the patronage of Trinity College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. William Greenhill, B.D., who has a good residence, and 29A.3R.3OP. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for £615 per annum.
The Parish School, established by the rector in 1828, is endowed with £1500 Three per Cent. Consols, left in the same year by William Ellis Gosling, who directed that £15 of the yearly dividends should be applied in providing a dinner, and reward books, for the scholars, at Midsummer. The other £30 is carried yearly to the school account, and added to the voluntary contributions which are raised for its support.
The TOWN CROFT, 4A., is let for £10, which is distributed among the poor, together with a yearly rent-charge of £2, left by Rowland Elliott, out of Walker's Farm.
Back to History of Farnham