History of East Mersea
St. Edmund's Church
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of East Mersea >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
MERSEA (EAST) is a village and parish forming the eastern part of Mersea Island, 9 miles S.S.E of Colchester, bounded on the south and east by the Ocean, and the estuary of the river Colne.
It contains 331 inhabitants, and about 1820 acres of land, including about 500 acres of low marshes and slatings, bordering on Pyefleet creek, on the south side of the island.
It was formerly held by the Rivers, Greffield, and other families. George Round, Esq., is now lord of the manor of Mersea Hall, and also owner of the estates here called Renshales and Rusalls; but Sir Warren Marmaduke Peacock, K.C.G., is lord of the manor of Reeves Hall, on the south side of the parish and several smaller owners have estates here, chiefly copyhold.
The Church (St Edmund,) is an ancient structure consisting of a nave, south aisle, chancel, with a small chapel, and a square tower. The latter was formerly used as a beacon, and had five bells, but has now only two.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £21, and in 1831 at £358, has 21A. of glebe, and a small manor, with a court leet and baron. It is in the pratronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. John Bramston Stane, M.A., of Forest Hall, near Ongar. For teaching 21 poor children, a schoolmistress, has a certain voluntary contributions, and the dividends of £223.6s.8d. three per cent. Consols, left by the Rev. John Tickell in 1812. The Church Land, 8A.1R.4P., is let for £10, and has been vested in trust, for the repairs of the church, from an early period.
Back to History of East Mersea