History of Elmstead
St Laurence and St Anne's Church, Elmstead.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Elmstead >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ELMSTEAD, a pleasant village, 4½ miles East by North of Colchester, and 2 miles South by East of Ardleigh station, has in its parish 809 souls, and 3589A. 3R. 34P. of fertile land.
It is sometimes called Elmstead Market, owing to a market being held in the village during one of the visitations of the plague in Colchester. It has a fair for toys and pedlery on the 15th. of May.
Edward Daniels, Esq., is now lord of the manor, which was held by Suene of Essex at the Norman Survey, and afterwards by Fitzwilliam, Tany, Pirton, Grimston, and other families.
The greater part of the soil belongs to Charter House, London, J. G. Rebow, Esq., N. C. Corsellis, Esq., J. Round, Esq., Caius College, Cambridge, and several smaller owners, mostly free, and partly copyholders.
The Church (St. Anne and St. Lawrence,) has a nave, chancel, and a south aisle, and at the west end of the latter, over the entrance porch, rises a short tower. It was appropriated to St. Osyth Prior, in 1382, by Aubery de Vere, Earl of Oxford.
The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £310, is in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge; and incumbency of Rev. William Wilson, M.A., who has a good white brick residence and 10A. 2R. 12P. of glebe. The rectory is in the appropriation of Jesus College, and has about 60A. of glebe, and £807 a year lieu of tithes. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £233.10s. per annum; but the vicar has also about £70 a year from land in Suffolk.
Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.
The poor parishioners have a house, formerly used as a workhouse, and three cottages, with small gardens, occupied rent-free.
Back to History of Elmstead