History of Elmdon
St Nicholas's Church, Elmdon.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Elmdon >> Education in Elmdon
Education in Elmdon
Reports and returns on schools and education in Elmdon. These allow a glimpse into the education your ancestors may have received if they were from this parish.
"Population 547 and Wendon Lofts population 87 (consolidated parishes). Five day schools, containing about 50 children; and one or two winter schools. The poor are anxious to have their children taught to read, and many are certainly able to spare from thgeir wages sufficient for that purpose."
Source: Digest of Parochial Returns. Select Committee on Education of the Poor, 1818
"Population 697. One Daily School (commenced 1830) in which 9 males and 8 females receive instruction at the expense of their parents. One Sunday School (commenced 1821) at which 22 males and 48 females are taught by the Vicar and his wife, it is also supported by a small endowment left for a Grammar School."
Source: House of Commons papers, Volume 41. Abstract of Education Returns 1833
"35 boys, 38 girls. Separate schools conducted by master and mistress. A very handsome and well arranged building fitted up with parallel desks, well supplied with apparatus. The school has been at work but three months. The children appear to be advancing. Some between 5 and 6 have learned to read repeat Multiplication Table, etc., to 6 x 6 since the school was opened. Catechism seems to be well taught."
Source: Minutes of the Committee of Council on Education by Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools, Volume 1, 1846
"Boys' and Girls'. These handsome and well arranged schools are in an efficient and improving condition; the order is good, and the appearance of the children very healthy, cleanly, and pleasing. The boys read ease, write well, work four simple and compound rules with accuracy, and have been instructed with care, but there want of intelligence."
Source: Report of the Committee of Council on Education (England and Wales Volume 1, 1848
Detailed report on funds left for a grammar school in the House of Commons paper Volume 28, Part 11, on Endowed Grammar Schools.
Back to History of Elmdon