History of Elmdon
St Nicholas's Church, Elmdon.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Elmdon >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ELMDON is a retired village, among the chalky hills at the north western extremity of the county, adjoining Cambridgeshire, 6 miles West by North of Saffron Walden, and 3½ miles West by South of Chesterford Railway Station.
Its parish contains 680 souls, and 3106 acres of land, extending southward to Duddenhoe-end and Pond street, 2 miles South of the church.
Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, held it at the Domesday Survey, and it afterwards passed to various owners, under the names of Elmdon, Leebury, Dagworths, Mounteneys, Pigots, etc.
Elmdonbury, the chief manor, belongs to J.H. Wilkes, Esq., and was formerly held by the Dagworth, Mounteneys, Segrave, and Meade families. After the death of Sir Thomas Meade, in 1678, it was sold to J. Wilkes, Esq.
A great part of the parish belongs to Admiral Gosselin, the Earl of Shannon, the Rev. W.F. Raymond, Sir Thomas, W. White, and several smaller owners, mostly copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (St. Nicholas,) is a neat structure, with a nave, side aisles, chancel, and tower, the latter containing four bells.
The rectory was appropriated by Robert de Lucy to the monastery at Lesnes, in Kent, but was afterwards given to Cardinal Wolsey, on whose fall it fell to the Crown. Henry VIII. gave it to Sheen priory. Edward VI. granted it to T. Crawley, Esq., and in 1739 it was purchased by an ancestor of J.H. Wilkes, Esq., the present impropriator.
The vicarage is consolidated with the rectory of Wendon Lofts, and the incumbent has a good residence here. The tithes were commuted for allotments of land at the enclosure in 1829.
The National School was built in 1844.
Thomas Crawley, in 1559, left a yearly rent-charge of £14 out of the rectory of Elmdon, to be paid to a priest for teaching grammar and good manners to the children of this and neighbouring parishes. An allotment of 2R.20P. was awarded to the school at the enclosure.
The old school and master's house were given many years ago by the parishioners. The latter is let for £3. The vicar is nominally appointed master, and applies the net income in supporting the Sunday School.
The poor have £3.18s. yearly from Martin's Charity.
Back to History of Elmdon
Are your ancestors from Elmdon? Why not tell us their story: My Elmdon Ancestors.