History of East Donyland (includes Rowhedge)
St Lawrence's Church, East Donyland.
© Copyright Hamish Griffin contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of East Donyland >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
DONYLAND, (EAST) a small village, 3 miles South South East of Colchester, has in its parish about 1400 acres, 793 inhabitants, and the fishing village of ROWHEDGE, on the west bank of the river Colne, opposite Wivenhoe, where there are some valuable oyster beds, and about fifty fishing boats.
It adjoins Berechurch or West Donyland, and at the Domesday survey it belonged to the Earl of Boulogne and others. Most of it was afterwards held by St. John's Abbey, Colchester, and after the dissolution of that house it was sold to Sir Francis Jobson.
Philip Havens, Esq., is now lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. He resides at the Hall, a neat mansion, with woody pleasure grounds, near the confluence of the small river Roman with the Colne. The Hall and gardens were much improved about 1735, by Daniel Gausel, Esq., who enclosed the park.
The old Church (St. Laurence) being much decayed, and inconveniently situated, part of its materials were used in the erection of the present Church, at Rowhedge, which was consecrated in 1838, and has a singular appearance, being of an octagon shape, in imitation of the Chapter House of York Cathedral. It contains a handsome marble monument, removed from the old church, in memory of one of the Greys, formerly seated here.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £215, has 49 acres of glebe, which is let with the parsonage house, - a small old building. P. Havens, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Vicessimus McGie Torriano, of Colchester, is the incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £220 per annum.
The parish has an old cottage, given by one Kingsbury, about 1718, for the poor.
Back to History of East Donyland