History of Dunton Wayletts (Dunton)
Former church of St Mary the Virgin, Dunton Wayletts. Built 1878 replacing the medieval church. Now a private house.
© Copyright Terry Joyce contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Dunton Wayletts >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
DUNTON, or Dunton Waylett, a small pleasant village on elevated ground, 5½ miles South South East of Brentwood, and South South West of Billericay, has in its parish l94 souls, and 2338 acres of land, including part of Laindon Hills.
Ulwin, a priest, held it in the Confessor's reign, and at the Domesday Survey, it belonged mostly to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, on whose disgrace, the Conqueror gave it to Bec Abbey, in Normandy.
The manor of Dunton Hall was afterwards held of that abbey by the Albini, Walden, Vere, and other families; but on the suppression of alien monasteries, it was given to King's College, Cambridge, to which it still belongs, together with the farm called Dunton Waylett.
Part of the parish belongs to J.B. Freeman, Esq., and several smaller freeholders; and the estate, called Friern, is the property of St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) stands on an acclivity, and has a nave and chancel, with a wooden belfry and spire. It has two bells.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £466, is in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. W.H. Tucker, M.A., who has 29A. of glebe, and a large and commodious residence, with pleasant grounds.
The National School was built in 1843.
Back to History of Dunton Wayletts (Dunton)