History of Dovercourt
© Copyright Humphrey Bolton contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Dovercourt >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
DOVER-COURT parish forms the south-western part of the Borough of Harwich, and comprises 813 inhabitants and 1970 acres of land, extending from the south end of the town two miles westward along the south side of the Stour, and more than two miles southward along the sea coast, including the village of Dovercourt, from 1 to 2 miles South West of the town, and many scattered houses.
It has a pleasure fair on Whit-Monday.
Before the Conquest, the parish belonged to Uluuin, and at the Norman Survey to Alberic de Vere, ancestor to the Earls of Oxford, who were lords paramount here till the reign of Henry VIII., but the estate passed with Alberic's daughter in marriage to Hugh Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, who also held Harwich as a member of this manor.
Roger Bigod, who died in 1307, left the manor to Edward I., whose successor gave it to Thomas de Brotherton. It afterwards passed to Mowbray, and other families.
E. W. Garland, Esq., who resides in the adjoining parish of Ramsey, is now lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil.
Cliff House, a large and handsome mansion, commanding a fine view of the harbour and the Suffolk coast, is the seat and property of John Bagshaw, Esq., M.P.. Holly Bush, another pleasant seat, is one of the seaside retreats of John Attwood, Esq.
All Saints' Church, Dovercourt.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
THE CHURCH (All Saints,) is an antique structure, with a nave and chancel, and an embattled stone tower, containing five bells.
It was appropriated to Colne Priory, by Alberic de Vere, Earl of Oxford, in the reign of Wm. Rufus. Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, having built a chapel at Harwich, annexed it to this church, and made a new grant of both to Colne Priory.
A guild of St. George was founded here, and in ancient times there was in the church a miraculous crucifix, which attracted crowds of devotees till 1532, when several sacriligious individuals entered the church at midnight, and removing the precious cross to some distance, burnt it to ashes. For this crime, three of them were hanged; but a fourth, who was condemned to the same fate, made his escape.
The vicarage of Dover Court, with the perpetual curacy of Harwich, annexed to it (valued in K.B. at £5.0s.10d., and in 1831, at £228) is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. S. N. Bull, M.A., who is also vicar of Ramsey.
The glebe is 30 acres, and the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1842 for £134.2s.9d. per ann. E. W. Garland, Esq., is impropriator of the rectory and his tithes have been commuted for £300.16s.10d. per annum. The Rev. William Bull is curate; Daniel Webb, clerk, Thomas Harvey, sexton, and Mr. H. Harris organist.
The CHURCH AND POOR LANDS etc., were mostly given by Richard Strought, and others in the 3rd of Henry VIII., and by Robert Smart and Margaret Bolland, at subsequent periods. They comprise the Franks, the Sexton's Pightle, Snake Meadow, and several other parcels of land; also a house, four cottages, and a blacksmith's shop. They are let at rents amounting to £109.9s. per annum, out of which £12.6s.8d. is paid to the parish clerk, and £6.3s.4d. to the sexton.
The remainder is applied in the service of the church, except the value of ten tons of coals, which are distributed yearly among poor parishioners, who also have about £17 per annum in bread, clothing etc., from Henry Smith's Charity distributed by the churchwardens.
Back to History of Dovercourt