History of Corringham
St Mary's Church, Corringham.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Corringham >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CORRINGHAM, a small scattered village, about l½ North of the Thames, and 11 miles South South West of Brentwood, has in its parish 255 souls, and 2856 acres of land, including a large tract of low marshes, intersected by several creeks of the Thames, one of which is the proposed site of Thames Haven.
Sigar, a freeman, held the parish in the Confessor's reign, but it belonged to the Bishop of London at the Norman Survey. W. Wingfield, Esq., is now lord of the manor of Corringham Hall; but J. B. Massey and several other freeholders have estates here, and the parish is partly, in two smaller manors, called Old Hall and Coggars.
The knightly family of Baud were long seated here, and one of them obtained a grant for a fair and market:, but they have long been obsolete.
St Mary's Church, Corringham, c.1925.
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) stands on a green, and has a nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a low tower, containing three bells, and crowned by shingled spire.
A chantry was founded in the north aisle by William 1e Baud, in 1328, and endowed with a house, 100 acres of land, and rent charge of 30s., held of the Bishop of London by the service of bringing to the high altar of St. Paul's, a buck and doe yearly.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £733, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J.H. Stephenson, M.A., who has a large and handsome residence, erected by himself, in the Elizabethan style, in 1841. The glebe is 3OA. and the tithes were commuted in 1840. The poor's land, 2A.lR.lOP., is let for £6 per
Back to History of Corringham