History of Colne Engaine
St Andrew's Church, Cold Norton.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Colne Engaine >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
COLNE ENGAINE is a village and parish on the north side of the river Colne, 2½ miles East of Halstead, and about a mile North West of Earl's Colne. It contains 685 souls and 2444A. of land.
It derived its distinguishing appellation from the Engaine family, its ancient lords, who held the manor from 1218 till about 1370, after which it passed to the Cheney, Clarke, Dale, and Ramsey families. About 1600, Lady Mary Ramsey gave the manor of Colne Engaine to the Governors of Christ's Hospital, London, as an augmentation of the endowment of that valuable charity; but a great part of the parish is in other manors, and belongs to various proprietors, mostly freeholders.
Robert Hills, Esq., is lord of the manors of Goldingtons and Shreves, and resides at Colne Park, a delightful seat, on the latter estate, about a mile East of the village.
Shreves was held by St. Botolph's Priory, Colchester, and was sold in 1762 to Micheal Hills, Esg., whose son left it to Philip Hills, Esq., who greatly improved the house and cased it with white brick. It has since been enlarged by the present owner, who has ornamented it with a handsome Grecian portico; and has erected in the grounds a lofty and elegant Ionic column of Portland stone, in memory of the late proprietor.
OVERHALL, about a mile North East of the church, is the manor and seat of J.J. Mayhew, Esq., and pays a peppercorn yearly to the lord of the manor of the Witnesham-with-Cockfelde, in Suffolk, if demanded. It was long held by the London family, together with the adjoining manor of Bromtons or Bruntons.
Henry Skingley, Esq., and several smaller owners have estates here, and on the west side of the parish are, Booses Green, and several scattered houses. The parish is encompassed on two sides by the Colne and one of its tributary streams.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, except it handsome brick tower which appears to have been erected in the reign of Henry VII., and is crowned by a spire.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £13.17s.6d., and in 1831 at £700, is in the patronage of the Governors of Christ's Hospital, and incumbency of the Rev. John Greenwood, D.D., who has 52A. of glebe, and a handsome modern Rectory House, half a mile from the church, commanding beautiful prospects. The tithes have been commuted for £750 per annum.
The parish has a National School and an Agricultural Society.
The poor have £4 yearly as the rent of 2A. of land, given by William Littell, lord of the manor of Goldington, in 1697, subject to the annual payment of 1s. to the lord of the said manor. The sexton has had, from time immemorial, about an acre of land called Sexton's Orchard.
Back to History of Colne Engaine