History of Cold Norton
St Stephen's Church, Cold Norton.
© Copyright Julieanne Savage contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Cold Norton >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
COLD-NORTON, 5 miles South of Maldon, is a small village and parish, containing 264 souls and 1651 acres of land, having a fertile soil and an undulated surface, watered by a small rivulet which flows southward to the Crouch.
The manor has been held by the Aunblie, Bohun, Bourchier, and other families, and was sold about 1600 to Thomas Sutton, Esq., who gave it as part of the endowment of his rich foundation in London, called the Charter House. The Governors of this charitable institution are now lords of the manor, owners of most of the soil, and patrons of the rectory valued in K.B. at £16.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £341, and now enjoyed by the Rev. William Holland, M.A., who has a large and handsome residence, and 42A.3R.28P. of
The Church (St. Stephen,) is a small ancient structure, with a wooden belfry, crowned by a short spire. The nave is Norman, of the 12th century; but both it and the chancel have undergone many repairs.
The Hall is a neat mansion, commanding extensive views, and has been occupied, with the farm, by the Clarke family more than a century. Edward Blore, Esq., and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish, which includes lands called Flambards and West Whetenham, formerly held by the Alley and Browne families.
The rent of a cottage, garden, and 1A.24P. of land, given to the poor by an unknown donor, and now let for £5, is carried to the poor rates.
Here is a neat National School, erected in 1842, with a house for the mistress, on land given by the Governors of the Charter House.
Back to History of Cold Norton