History of Clavering
St Mary and St Clement Church, Clavering.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Clavering >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CLAVERING, a village, is pleasantly situated near the head of the river Stort, 8 miles South West of Saffron Walden, and 4 miles West South West of Newport Station. Its parish contains 1172 souls, and 3798A.2R.22P. of land, including Ford-end, Sheepcote-green, Sterlings-green, Hill-green, Douse-green, and many scattered houses.
Sir Francis Simpkinson and A. Majendie, Esq., are lords of the manors, and owners of most of the soil; but the Hon. T.R. Dimsdale, G. Jackson, G. King, J. Warley, and several others have estates here.
The Castle of Claveringbury, the seat of the ancient lords, was near the church, where the extensive area which it occupied may still be traced. After the forfeiture of Hugh de Essex, this lordship remained with the Crown, till it was granted by Henry II., to Robert Fitz-Roger, whose family held it during several generations. It afterwards passed to the Nevill, Hastings, and Barrington families.
The other principal estates, or subordinate manors, in the parish. are called Thurrocks and Pounces, Curles, Geddings, and Pondes, which have been held by the Barley, Petre, Grey, Pecke. Cotton, and other families.
The Church (St. Clement,) is a large Gothic structure of stone, embattled and leaded; and has a tower and five bells. The nave is spacious, and is separated from the aisles by handsome pillars and arches. In the chancel are several neat marble monuments in memory of the Barley, or Barlee family, formerly seated at Curles.
Here are also memorials of the Welbores, formerly seated at Pondes.
The Rectory was given by Robert de Essex to Prittlewell Priory, in the reign of Henry II., and it is now in the impropriation of St. Thomas's, Bridewell, and Christ's Hospital, London. The Governors of Christ's Hospital are also patrons of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £22.13s.11½d., and in 1831 at £512, with the curacy of Langley annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. G.J. Brookes. M.A., who has a good residence and 4A.2R.14P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841, the rectorial for £504.14s.4d., and the vicarial for £466.1s.8d. per annum.
The Independent Chapel here belongs to a congregation formed in 1692, and has been rebuilt at the cost of about £500, and licensed for marriages.
Here is also a small Primitive Methodist Chapel; a National School, built in 1844, at the cost of £320; and a British School, held in the old workhouse.
John Thake, in 1537, charged Valence Farm with providing one barrel of white and a cade of red herrings for the poor parishioners in Lent. They are distributed by the parish clerk.
The poor have also 26s. yearly from Martin's Charity, £6, as the annual rent of 7A. of land called Darnells, purchased with £100 given by John Smith in 1680; a rent charge of 10s. out of Priest's Farm, left by an unknown donor; a rent charge of £3, left for poor widows by Archbishop Whitgift and Margaret Fulnelly out of Thurrocks and Clavering Bury Farms; and a share of Barlee's Charity, which comprises a cottage and 5A. of land called Harrold's, given to this and other parishes.
Back to History of Clavering