History of Chelmsford
High Street, Chelmsford, 1892
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Chelmsford >> Education in Chelmsford
Education in Chelmsford (including Moulsham)
Reports and returns on schools and education in Chelmsford (including Moulsham). These allow a glimpse into the education your ancestors may have received if they were from this parish.
"Population 4,649. A national school containing 126 boys and 129 girls during the week, and about 4 additional boys and 3 girls on Sundays; a Lancasterian school, consisting of 98 daily boys and 68 girls, and 70 boys and 102 girls on Sundays.
A free grammar-school, founded and endowed by Edward the 6th, for the education of boys in grammar, till about 8 or 10 years ago classical instruction only was offered; but this sort of learning being esteemed comparatively useless to the children of tradesmen and others; it was ordered by the four governors that the limited number of 25 boys, should be instructed in English, writing, and arithmetic, by an usher, who is provided by the master. The emoluments enjoyed by the head master are said to be between £300 and £400 per annum, together with a garden and a croft of land; the whole arising from estates in the parishes of Southminster, Great Baddow, Ulting, Hatfield Peverel, and West Tilbury, producing annually £400; also from £2,100 new South Sea annuities
A charity school, containing 30 boys and 20 girls, all of whom are clothed; the master and mistress have £50 per annum between them, with a dwelling house and a small quantity of fuel. The funds for education are only the interest of £619 3s. 6d. in the 3 per cent consols; and for apprenticing the boys, the interest of £873 7s. 4d. 3 per cent bank annuities. The remainder of the expense is defrayed by annual contributioue.
Instruction is offered to all the poor."
Source: Digest of Parochial Returns. Select Committee on Education of the Poor, 1818
"Population 5,435. Fourteen Daily Schools: one of which, a Free Grammar School, contains 35 males, and is endowed with land under charter by Edward VI. Latin and Greek are taught without charge, but 10s. per quarter is paid for writing and arithmetic: the master is provided with a house, and is allowed to take private scholars; in another are 30 males and 20 females; this School is partly supported by endowment and partly by subscription; a house is also found for the master; four others contain 264 males and 200 females, and are partly supported by subscription and partly by payments from the children, (one of these containing 150 children is a Lancasterian school); in three others are 51 males and 4 females; the other five are for very young children, and contain 46 males and 66 females. In the eight Schools last mentioned the instruction is paid for by the parents. Three Boarding Schools: in two of which are 62 females; and in the other, 13 males: all of whom are educated at the expense of their parents. One Sunday School, of 35 males and 33 females, is supported by subscription, and connected with Dissenters."
Source: House of Commons papers, Volume 41. Abstract of Education Returns 1833
"Chelmsford 21st October. 92 girls, 114 boys, 85 infants. Three large school rooms. Boys, and girls each 44 X 22 X 18 feet. Infants 40 X 22 X 18 feet, with good class room, and departments for three teachers. A very handsome and commodious building. Site ¼ acre conveyed to churchwardens, granted by Lady Mildmay.
Boys: six classes, master assistant, and monitor In excellent order. Good reading, ciphering to Practice, writing memoriter well taught. Religious teaching very satisfactory.
Girls: mistress, assistant, and monitors. Seven classes. Unusually good reading. Writing, paper and memoriter tolerably good. Geography and English history begun. Good religious instruction throughout the school.
Infants apparent an efficient and well managed school."
Source: Minutes of the Committee of Council on Education by Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools, Volume 1, 1846
"Boys'. The boys are cheerful and attentive, but not in perfect order. The lower classes are full of life and fairly advanced in reading. The elder boys write sensible abstracts. The master has bestowed great pains on the instruction of the boys, and is an earnest respectable man. The religious instruction is sound and extensive.
Girls'. Three large schools in one handsome building. The girls' school is a neat handsome building, tolerably well arranged. Discipline excellent, the manners of the girls remarkably pleasing. A large proportion of good readers; sound religious instruction. They read the History of England, and have a very satisfactory knowledge of geography. The writing from dictation very good. The girls learn ironing, and are good needlewomen."
Source: Report of the Committee of Council on Education (England and Wales Volume 1, 1848
Detailed report on Chelmsford Grammar School in the House of Commons paper Volume 28, Part 11, on Endowed Grammar Schools.
Back to History of Chelmsford