History of Chadwell St Mary
St Mary's Church, Chadwell St Mary.
© Copyright David Anstiss contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Chadwell St Mary >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CHADWELL ST. MARY, a small scattered village, about 2 miles East of Grays Thurrock and South of Orsett, has in its parish 236 souls and 1753 acres of land, extending southward to the Thames, and including part of Tilbury Fort.
The soil is generally deep and heavy, and the lands rising above the marshes in this and neighbouring parishes are distinguished by extensive chalk works, many of them of great antiquity, and forming large caverns, from 55 to 80 feet deep, though having only small openings at the top.
The parish is in four manors, and belongs to various proprietors. The Rev. J.P. Herringham is lord of the manor of Chadwell Hall, formerly held by the Bishop of London, and the Halton, Cooke, Velley, and other families. The small manor of Ingleby was held by a family of its own name, but it now belongs to the poor of Winchester, and that of Bigging belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St,Paul's.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) stands on the side of a hill, and has a nave and chancel of one pace, and a lofty stone tower, containing two bells.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £430, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J.P. Herringham, M.A., of Borley. The Rectory House, occupied by the curate, has recently been much improved.
In 1586, Peter Symonds left for the poor of this parish the yearly sum of 20s., to be paid by the minister and churchwardens of All Hallows, Lombard street, London.
In 1794, the Rev. William Herringham, late rector of Chadwell, received £52 as 52 years' arrears of this annuity; and that sum was augmented by his liberality and that of other contributors, to about £300, which was invested in the purchase of £400 Bank three per cent. reduced annuities, now standing in the names of the present rector, and the Archdeacon of Essex. The dividends and the annuity are distributed among the poor parishioners, in coals, clothing, etc.
Back to History of Chadwell St Mary