History of Canewdon
St Nicholas' Church, Canewdon.
© Copyright William contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Canewdon >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CANEWDON, a village, on an eminence on the south side of the vale of the navigable river Crouch, 4 miles North North East of Rochford, commands a fine view over the vale, and of the battle field of Ashingdon, where Canute the Dane contended with Edmund Ironside, and is said to have given his name to this place, where he kept his court.
The Romans undoubtedly had a station here, for in a field near the hall, twelve urns were found in 1712, and in the following year 18 more were dug up. These vessels differed much in size, form, colour, and ornaments; and many others were afterwards found in a stratum of gravel, 18 inches below the surface. A large portion of a gigantic statue of some heathen deity was dug up in the parish in 1847, carved in stone.
The parish contains 723 inhabitants, and 5262 acres of land, including a portion of the rich marshes in Wallasea Island; and the low tract, called Canewdon Marsh, and separated from the rest of the parish by a winding creek, communicating with the rivers Crouch and Broomhill.
Miss Eaton, of Upper Clapton, is lady of the manor of Canewdon Hall which was formerly held by the Chanceaux, Darcy and other families.
There are four manors in the parish, viz., Apton Hall, Scotty's, Lamburn Hall, (Mrs. Lodwick,) and Pudsey Hall, belonging to John Fane, Esq. The lord of Scotty's manor is one of those who attend the Lawless or Whispering Court at Rochford.
Loftman's is the seat and property of Lieut. Col. Kersteman, who also occupies a farm here belonging to the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty. Messrs. Luther Lester, Peter Porter, F.C. Hance, and several residents have estates and neat houses here.
The Church (St. Nicholas,) stands on a lofty hill, and is an ancient fabric, with a steeple rising to the height of 74 feet, and containing five musical bells.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £34.1s.8d., and in 1831 at £495, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. George Heath, M.A., who has a good residence, which he repaired and much improved in 1848. The great tithes of the manor of Apton Hall belong to the vicar, and the rest are held by Lieut.Col. Kersteman.
Here is a small building used as a Wesleyan chapel and school, and erected in 1833, pursuant to the will of the late Mr. Thomas Nattras.
Pursuant to a Chancery decree, dated 1557, the poor parishioners of Canewdon have a yearly rent charge of £2.12s.2d. out of New Hall Farm, part of which had been bequeathed for an obit and the poor, by William Totham, and seized by the Crown in 1548.
For a weekly distribution of bread, they have £17 a year from 6A.31P. of land, and three boarded tenements purchased with £60, left by Richard Woodes, in 1687.
The POOR'S LANDS, etc., derived from various donors at an early period, is let with various cottages, etc., upon it, in 17 lots at rents amounting to £112, exlusive of four cottages occupied rent free by poor families; and a house and garden appropriated to the free use of the schoolmaster.
Out of the rents, the trustees pay yearly £23 to the master of the Day and Sunday School for teaching poor children; and £1.3s. to the man who looks after the engine of the village well; and distribute the remainder, after deducting dental expenses, in money, bread, and coals among the poor.
Back to History of Canewdon