History of Bradfield
St Lawrence Church, Bradfield.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Bradfield >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BRADFIELD is a pleasant and well-built village on an acclivity on the south side of the estuary of the river Stour, and mostly on the Manningtree and Harwich road, 3 miles East by South of the former, and 9 miles West by South of Harwich.
Its parish contains 995 inhabitants, and 2074 acres of land, and includes many houses on Bradfield Heath, about a mile south of the church, as well as several scattered houses on Rag Marsh, near the river, and in other directions.
The chief part of the parish rises from the marshes to a considerable height, and the soil belongs to that class of fine impalpable fertile loams, equal to the best in the kingdom.
Aluric Camp, held it in the Confessor's reign, and at the Domesday Survey, it was held by Roger de Ramis and Roger Pictaviensis. It afterwards passed to the Franks, Brokesbourne, Grimston, Vere, and other families. It includes the estates called Nether Hall, Manston, Jaques Hall, etc.
T.G. Kensit, is now lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to James Hardy, Esq., Rev. T.P. Nunn, Augustus George, Esq., and several smaller owners, mostly freeholders.
The Hall, a neat cemented mansion, surrounded by a moat, belongs to H. Powell, Esq., and is occupied by Mr. Sheldrake; and Stour Lodge is the pleasant seat of L. Agassiz, Esq.
The Church (St. Lawrence,) is an ancient cruciform structure, partly in the perpendicular style, and having a tower and one bell. It was thoroughly repaired in 1841, when the east window was enriched with painted glass, at the cost of the late incumbent. In the interior is a beautiful monument, in relief, by Chantry, of the Agassiz family.
In 1253, this church was appropriated to the priory of St. Bartholomew, in Smithfield, and the benefice is now a vicarge, consolidated with the rectory of Mistley. It has been augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 by private benefaction. The joint benefices, valued in K.B. at £16.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £705, are in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J.E. Carter, B.A., who has here a good residence commanding a fine view of the Suffo1k side of the Stour; and 36A. of glebe. The tithes here were commuted in 1841, the vicarial for £186, and the rectorial for £337 per annum. The latter belong to the Rev. Gilbert Alder, of Hartsbourne Tarrant, Hampshire.
Near the church is a National School, built in 1841, at the cost of £140, and on the heath is a small Wesleyan Chapel and Sunday School.
The parish is entitled to send free scholars to Dedham Grammar School.
A cottage, occupied by paupers, and three roods of land occupied rent-free by the parish clerk, were given by unknown donors.
Back to History of Bradfield