History of Brentwood
Grammer School, Brentwood, 1955
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Brentwood >> Education in Brentwood
Education in Brentwood
Reports and returns on schools and education in Brentwood. These allow a glimpse into the education your ancestors may have received if they were from this parish.
"South Weald population 1,010, with Brook Street containing Brentwood Chapelry population 1,238. A school at Brentwood, founded and endowed by Sir Anthony Browne in 1557, for boys belonging to this parish, and those within three miles round; the children must be eight years of age, and able to read and write, bfeore they are admitted, at present 70 are educated. The master receives the whole of the funds, arising from land producing annually £384 3s. and Dagenham tythes let at £1,115 a year, out of which he pays a classical master £150, two English masters, one 50 guineas and the other £30, and to give 5 almspeople £10 per annum each, and to keep the school and almshouses in repair.
At South Weald, a school snpported by subscription for 18 girls; one school containing 25 boys, and another 8 girls. Two dames, schools consisting of about 28 boys and girls; and a Sunday school, comprising 22 boys and 25 girls, besides those who attend from Brentwood. The master of Brentwood free school instructs voluntarily between 70 and 80 children on a Sunday and supports a day school of industry for 12 girls.
The poor are educated with the assistance of the parishioners; and when the master of Brentwood school offered to educate any children of both sexes gratuitously, on the two weekly half holidays in the free free school, few or no parents availed themselves of it."
Source: Digest of Parochial Returns. Select Committee on Education of the Poor, 1818
"Brentwood Chapelry population 1,642. Seven Daily Schools: one of which contains 16 children; this School is endowed, but it is stated that the endowment is at present awaiting the decision of the Lord Chancellor, under what circumstances is not mentioned; in the other six Schools 136 males and 62 females are instructed at the expense of their parents. Two Sunday Schools, in which are 85 males and 82 females; these Schools are supported by voluntary contributions."
Also see South Weald.
Source: House of Commons papers, Volume 41. Abstract of Education Returns 1833
"Brentwood, 9th October. 118 boys 42 girls present. Same master and arrangements. An excellent boys school, both for discipline and instruction. The average age of the boys is lower than last year. The girls are young and the instruction is not satisfactory."
Source: Minutes of the Committee of Council on Education by Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools, Volume 1, 1846
Detailed report on Brentwood Grammar School in the House of Commons paper Volume 28, Part 11, on Endowed Grammar Schools.
Back to History of Brentwood