History of Bulmer
St Andrew's Church, Bulmer.
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Bulmer >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BULMER, a pleasant village, on an eminence, 2 miles West South West of Sudbury, has in its parish 775 souls and 2705 acres of land, including the small village of Bulmer Tye, on the high road, more than a mile south of the church, and several scattered farm houses, etc.
A small pleasure fair is held at the Tye on Holy Thursday.
Earl Howe is lord of the principal manors, and owner of a great part of the soil; but Robt. Preston, Esq., is lord of the small manor of Goldingham Hall; and J. H. Powell, Esq., is lord of the manor of Smeeton, or Smeetham Hall.
Caledon Dupré Alexander, Esq., has a large and handsome seat called Auberies, on the commanding eminence, about half a mile east of the church, built on the site of an ancient mansion, about 40 years ago, by the late Lady Aubery. The front has an elegant portico, with four fluted pillars, and the house is encompassed by a beautiful and well-wooded park and extensive gardens. The late C. Greenwood, Esq., purchased this seat, and left it in 1831 to C. Hammersley, Esq., who sold it to Colonel Meyrick.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a plain antique fabric, with an ivy-mantled tower, containing three bells. It had a chantry, and was appropriated to Bruisyard Abbey.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £445, with that of Belchamp-Walter annexed to it, is in the patronage of S. M. Raymond, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Oliver Raymond, LL.B., of Middleton, who has here 2A. of glebe, but no parsonage house. The tithes were commuted in 1844, the vicarial for £330, and the rectorial for £500 per annum. The latter belong to Capt. Byles.
A school has recently been built here by Mrs. Alexander, and is supported by her.
Back to History of Bulmer