History of Broxted
St Mary's Church, Broxted
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Broxted >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BROXTED is a pleasant scattered village, picturesquely situated in a fertile, well-wooded, and boldly undulated district, from 3 to 4 miles South South West of Thaxted, near one of the sources of the river Chelmer. Its parish contains 737 souls, and 315lA.3R.38R. of land, including roads, etc.
Viscount Maynard is lord of the manors of Broxted and Chawreth Hall. The latter is commonly called Cherry Hall, and has been held by Ely Abbey, and the Wanton, Lovetot, Crawley, and other families. It was sold by the Jocelyns to an ancestor of its present owner.
R.B. De Beauvoir, Esq., is lord of Church Hall, or the Rectory manor, and impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £170, and now enjoyed by the Rev. A. Mason, M.A., who has a good residence of timber, lath, and plaster. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the rectorial for £666, and the vicarial for £200.,/p>
The Church (St. Mary,) stands on an eminence, and has a lofty chancel, and a low wooden tower, containing four bells.
The National School, near the church, was built in 1840 by Viscount Maynard, who also erected another in 1848, at Cherry Green, on the north side of the parish, 2½ miles West South West of Thaxted.
Several small proprietors have estates here, mostly free, and partly copyhold.
Back to History of Broxted