History of Bradwell (Bradwell juxta Coggeshall)
Holy Trinity Church, Bradwell juxta Coggeshall
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Bradwell (Bradwell juxta Coggeshall) >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BRADWELL-NEXT-COGGESHALL is a scattered village and parish, on the south side of the river Blackwater, 2½ miles. West of Coggeshall, and 3 miles East of Braintree, containing 293 souls, and 1171 acres of land.
It has its name from a spring, or broad well, out of which the water flows so copiously, that it turns an overshot mill in its course to the Blackwater. The latter, which is crossed by a wooden bridge, gives name to the hamlet of Blackwater, which is partly in this, but mostly in Stisted parish.
Bradwell lies low, and the soil in some parts is heavy. Bradwell Hall, now a farm-house, contains some finely carved wainscoting, and formerly stood in a park. It gives name to the manor, which was long held by the Hende or Hinde family, from whom it passed to the Bassets, Bonhans, and Maxeys.
The latter were seated here in the 16th and 17th centuries, and their heiress married Martin Carter, Esq., of Saling Hall. M.P.C. Brunwin, Esq., is now lord of the manor, and has a pleasant seat here, called Park House. He owns most of the soil, and the rest belongs to R.S. Edwards, T. Rowland, W. Hutley, J. Goodey, and a few smaller owners.
The Rev. Sir J.P. Wood, Bart., LL.B., resides in the house at Glazenwood, where there are 52A. of land, laid out and planted as a nursery. orchard, and pleasure grounds, by Mr. Samuel Curtis, publisher of the Botanical Magazine, and now of the Victoria Park, London.
The Church (Holy Trinity,) is a small ancient fabric, with a tower containing three bells, and crowned by a spire. In the chancel are some stately monuments, belonging to the Maxey and Carter families. One has kneeling effigies of Sir Anthony Maxey and his lady. Among many fine paintings at Park House, is one by Sir P. Lely, of Sir William Maxey who commanded at the siege of Colchester.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £260, is in the gift of M.P.C. Brunwin, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. P. M. Brunwin, B.A., who has a good residence, and 30A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £345 per ann.
The Poor's Land, given at an early period by an unknown donor, with an allotment of one rood awarded to it, about 16 years ago, comprises 7A. 2R., let for about £24 a year, which is distributed among poor parishioners who are not receiving parochial relief.
Back to History of Bradwell (Bradwell juxta Coggeshall)