History of Belchamp Walter
St Mary's Church, Belchamp Walter
© Copyright Keith Evans contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Belchamp Walter >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BELCHAMP WALTER is a widely scattered village, from three to four miles West of Sudbury, and has in its parish 698 souls, and 2080 acres of land, including the small extra-parochial places, called North Wood and North-End, the former of which has 17, and the latter 29 inhabitants. The parish rises boldly from a rivulet, which runs eastward to the Stour.
Mrs. Young (formerly Miss Saville) is lady of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to other proprietors, the largest of whom is S.M. Raymond, Esq. of Belchamp Walter Hall, a large and handsome mansion, with pleasant grounds, commanding fine prospects, and having a spacious terrace, skirted with lofty trees.
The principal front is composed partly of foreign bricks, and the house contains a valuable, collection of paintings, one of which is a large picture, of three subjects, by Teniers. John Raymond, Esq., purchased the hall and other estates in 1611.
William Wright, Esq., has a large estate here, and a handsome modern seat, called Easton Hall, built on the site of an ancient mansion, on a commanding eminence, on the north side of the parish. The Vere, Beauchamp, Montchensy, Hautboys, and other ancient families, were formerly owners here.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a lofty ancient structure, with a tower, eight bells, and a fine~toned organ. In the chancel is a handsome monument of white and grey marble, in memory of various individuals of the Raymond family. There are also the remains of a very ancient monument, of elaborate workmanship, supposed to be in memory of one of the Earls of Essex, but the inscription is gone.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £6, is consolidated with that of Bulmer, and was augmented, in 1727, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and with a small house and £100, given by William Raymond, Esq. The tithes here were commuted in 1847, the vicarial for £194, and the rectoriol for £541 per annum. The latter belong to the patron, S.M. Raymond, Esq.
Back to History of Belchamp Walter
Are your ancestors from Belchamp Walter? Why not tell us their story: My Belchamp Walter Ancestors.