History of Beaumont-cum-Moze
St. Leonard's Church c.1905
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Beaumont-cum-Moze >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BEAUMONT CUM-MOZE a scattered village, 7 miles South East of Manningtree, and 9 miles South West of Harwich, occupies a gentle eminence near the head of a creek called Hainford Water, which is navigable for vessels of 70 tons up to Beaumont Bridge, where there is a wharf and warehouse, built in 1832.
The parish contains 451 souls, and 2354 acres of land, formerly in two parishes, called Beaumont and Moze, but they were consolidated by Act of Parliament, in 1678.
Moze or Mose, which still has some remains of its ancient church, extends more than a mile North East of Beaumont, along the shore of the bay or creek, opposite Holmes, and two other small Islands, which belong to this parish.
The Governor's of Guy's Hospital, London, are lords of the two manors, but part of the soil belongs to J. D. Salmon, Esq., S. Dennis, E. Cooper, Mrs. Dean, Harwich Corporation, and a few smaller owners, and most of it is freehold.
Beaumont Hall, a brick mansion in the Elizabethan style, on an eminence commanding a fine view of the ocean, belongs to Guy's Hospital, and is occupied by R. C. Salmon, Esq.
New Moze Hall is the pleasant residence of Mr. R. S. Green; and the old one, which stands near the church ruins, is occupied by Mrs. Salmon. The Vere, Berners, Rivers, and other families were formerly owners here; and the manors were sold by the Earl of Guildford, in the 17th century, to Guy's Hospital.
Beaumont Church (St. Leonard), is a small ancient structure, which stand on a hill, and was repaired in 1847, at the cost of about £500.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1831 at £670, is in the patronage of the Governor's of Guy's Hospital, and incumbency of the Rev. W. R. Browell, M.A., who has 53A. 3R. 12P. of glebe, and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1838, for £793 per annum.
Here is a National School and a small Wesleyan Chapel.
Back to History of Beaumont-cum-Moze