History of Barnston
Barnston Parish Church
© Copyright Trevor Harris contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Barnston >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BARNSTON, or Bernston, a small parish of scattered houses, from 2 to 3 miles South South East of Dunmow, is bounded on the north by the Chelmer, and watered by two of the tributaries of that river. It contains 197 souls, and 1394 acres of land.
At the Norman Survey, it was held by Hugh de Berners, under Geoffrey de Magnaville; and his family were tenants here for many generations. Thomas of Woodstock settled the manor on his college of Pleshey, and in 1548 it was granted to Sir John Gate. It afterwards passed to the Grey, Rich, Wylde, and Toke families.
The Rev. Wm. Toke, of Dover, is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to several smaller owners, mostly freeholders. The copyholds are subject to certain fines.
The Church is an ancient structure, chiefly of flint and mortar; but its two original Saxon entrances are now blocked up, and in lieu of them there is a modern square door. In the chancel is a long Latin inscription in memory of the Rev. Robt. Scott, a learned and charitable divine, and master of Clare Hall, Cambridge.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £13, and in 1931 at £365, is in the patronage of the Rev. Wm. Toke, and incumbency of the Rev. R. R. Toke, B.A., who has a good residence, and 13A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £416 per annum.
In 1625, Richd. Scott left £160, to be invested in land, etc., for the relief of the poor parishioners. The land purchased with this legacy consists of 17A., let for £15 a year, subject to a quit-rent of 2s. to the lord of the manor of Garnetts. They have £3 a year as the rent of the Maiden Croft, (4A.,) which was purchased with £28.10s. benefaction money, in 1645. They have also two yearly rent-charges, viz., £2 given by Wm. Collard, in 1657; and £1 left by Nicholas Collard, in 1672. Both of them are paid out of Shoulder Hall, and are distributed with the above by the rector
Back to History of Barnston