History of Ashen
St. Augustine of Canterbury Church, Ashen
© Copyright Bob Jones contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Ashen >> Description of Ashen in 1933
Description of Ashen in 1933
Ashen (or Esse) is a parish on the borders of Suffolk, from which it is separated by the Stour, and is 1 mile south-east from Stoke station on the London and North Eastern railway, 2 south-west from Clare, 10 miles north from Halstead and 6 east from Haverhill, in the Saffron Walden division of the county, Hinckford hundred. North Hinckford petty sessional division, Bumpstead rural district, Sudbury county court district, and in the rural deanery of Belchamp, archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese.
The church, assigned of late to St. Augustine, its ancient dedication being unknown, is an edifice chiefly of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells. The chancel has been entirely rebuilt and fitted with stalls, and four stained windows have been inserted. There are monuments to Stephen Piper esq. J.P., D.L. ob. 16 Feb. 1721; to Dorothy Byatt, widow of the Rev. William Byatt, rector of Holton, Suffolk, ob. 24 Sept. 1752; and her grand-daughter, Philadelphia Piper, ob, 17 May, 1753; and to Lucy, wife of Capt. John Tallakarne, ob. 3 Dec. 1610, and inscriptions giving some account of other alliances of
that family. There is also a memorial to the Rev. Charles Stuart M.A. vicar of Bumpstead ad turrim, d. 16 Dec. 1803, and to his wife Sarah, d. 12 Oct. 1771. A stone tablet commemorates the men who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The pulpit was installed in 1928 to the memory of the Rev. Edward Hugh Deane B.A. rector 1895-1927. The church has been refurnished, refloored and reseated, and a quarter of an acre added to the churchyard. There are 120 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from 1560; marriages and burials from 1558.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £390, with 18 acres of glebe and residency in the gift of the Duchy of Lancaster, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Charles John Watkins Old, of Lincoln Theological College. Archbishop Parker once held this living.
Ashen House, an old moated building, and Ashen Hall are farmhouses near the village. Mrs. Basham is lady of the manor of Claret Hall. The trustees of the late Frederick Cooper and B. Basham esq. and J. A. Bowyer esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans and barley. The area is 1,494 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1931 was 226.
Source: Kellys Directory 1933
Back to History of Ashen