History of Asheldham
St. Lawrence's Church, Asheldham
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Asheldham >> Description of Asheldham in 1933
Description of Asheldham in 1933
Asheldham (or Asheldon) is a parish and village 2 miles north-east from Southminster station on the Southend section of the London and Korth Eastern railway, 11 miles south-east from Maldon, 5 north-east from Burnham and 50 from London by road, in the Maldon division of the county, Dengie hundred and petty sessional division, Maldon rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Dengie, archdeaconry of Southend and diocese of Chelmsford.
The parish is watered by a small brook, which falls into the North Sea at Dengie Flats, and the sea and tidal waters are within 4 miles on the north, east and south.
The church of St. Lawrence, erected about 1450, is an ancient building of stone and flint, in the Decorated style, with walls of great thickness, and consists of chancel and nave, south porch and an embattled tower at the western end containing one bell. The chancel retains a sedile, and in the nave are two piscinae. The stone staircase, which formerly led to a rood loft, still remains. At the south porch is a water stoup; the east window contains one stained light in memory of two daughters of the Rev. H. P. Dawes, rector 1859-93, and in a window in the north aisle is a stained light to the Malden family. The church was wholly restored in 1866. There are sittings for 120 persons. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from 1721; burials, 1722.
The living is a rectory, united in 1927 with that of Dengie, joint net yearly value £700, in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge, and the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1932 by the Rev. Anthony Geake M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Dengie. Aylett's charity of about £1 yearly, derived from lands, is distributed to the poor in money.
The principal landowners are the trustees of Joseph, Lord Petre, a minor, who are also lords of the manor. The soil is loam and gravel; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas, barley, oats, turnips and mangold-wurtzel. The area of the civil parish is 1,309 acres; the population in 1931 was 168 in the civil, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 207,
Source: Kellys Directory 1933
Back to History of Asheldham