History of Alresford
St Peter's Church, Alresford
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Alresford >> Description of Alresford in 1933
Description of Alresford in 1933
Alresford is an ancient village and a parish on high table land, on the road from Colchester to St. Osyth, and is bounded on the west by the Colne, and on the south by a creek running up from the river Colne, fordable at low water, with a station on the Colchester and Tendring Hundred branch of the London and Horth Eastern railway, is 6 miles south-east from Colchester and 59 from London, in the Harwich division of the county, rural district, petty sessional division and hundred of Tendring, Colchester, Clacton and Halstead joint county court district, rural deanery of St. Osyth, archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese
The church of St. Peter is a well proportioned building of stone, erected by Anfrid or Anfrey de Staunton, about the year 1300, as did appear by his epitaph in Norman-French in the chancel, now concealed by the flooring of the chancel seats. It consists of chancel, nave of two bays, south aisle, north porch and a low western belfry with shingled spire containing one bell. The east window, the gift of the Rev. Charles Collwyn Prichard and a few friends and the work of Messrs. Morris and Co. was inserted in memory of those who fell in the Great War especially Lieutenants Rowland Prichard and Giles Prichard. Those in the south aisle were provided by the late W.W. Hawkins esq. A new organ has been installed, the gift of the Rev. F.W. Bussell D.D. There are several hatchments, including that of Captain
Martin, who purchased the Alresford estate in 1720. He commanded an East India Co.'s vessel and distinguished himself by defeating the attack of a French line of battle ship. An oval medal bearing the arms of the East India Co. appears on his hatchment. There are 165 sittings. The register dates from the year 1742. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £333, with residence, in the gift of Hulme's trustees, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Clement James Edwards M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford.
A legacy of £100 left by Lieuts. Giles and Howland Prichard for church purposes, has been invested in the War Loan, and the interest is paid half yearly to the churchwardens. A rent-charge of 12s. 8d. on the Milch Pightle field was left in 1538 by Edmund Porter for the relief of the poor.
Alresford Hall stands in a commanding position, surrounded by fine woods, about half a mile from the church, and is the seat of Guy F. Cobbold esq. who is the principal landowner. Major E. Francis Hutchinson is lord of the manor.
The soil is a light sandy loam on a gravelly subsoil. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats and market garden produce. The area is 1,434 acres of land, chiefly arable, 2 of inland and 12 of tidal water and 82 of foreshore; the population in 1931 was 312.
Carriers and Omnibuses pass through to Colchester from Brightlingsea daily
Source: Kellys Directory 1933
Back to History of Alresford