History of Ardleigh
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Ardleigh >> Description of Ardleigh in 1933
Description of Ardleigh in 1933
Ardleigh, mentioned in "Domesday Survey," is a parish on the road from Colchester to Manningtree with a station on the main line of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 miles north-east from Colchester, 3½ south-west from Manningtree and 55½ from London, in the Harwich division of the county, Manningtree petty sessional division, Tendring hundred and rural district, Colchester, Olacton and Halstead joint county court district, rural deanery of Dedham, archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, a fine structure of flint and freestone, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a fine embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells. There is a memorial window to the Rev. Frederick Joseph Ball M.A, vicar 1897-1902. The organ was erected in 1905 at a cost of £465. In 1883 the church was rebuilt and the tower and south porch restored, at a cost, including fittings and decoration, of £4,600, and in 1892 the bells were rehung and two new bells added. There are 330 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £500, including 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Reginald Hall Grubbe B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
Here is a Methodist chapel. The cemetery here, formed in 1860, is two acres in extent, and under the control of the Parish Council. The endowed charities amount to £52 6s. yearly. Ragmarsh farm was devised by William Littlebury in 1571, the rent to be expended for the instruction of poor boys of this parish at Dedham Grammar school.
There were originally four manor houses in this parish, viz.: Bovills Hall, the property of Mrs. de Manley Norie; Martells Hall, the property of the Rev. James William Green M.A.; and Ardleigh Hall, the property of Messrs. H. and E. Edwards; J. W. Clayton esq. is lord of the manor of Moze Hall.
The principal landowners are Messrs. H. and E. Edwards and Messrs. E. Abbott and Sons. The soil is generally light gravel; subsoil, mild sandy bottom. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 5,058 acres of land and 4 of water; the population in 1931 was 1,516 in the civil and of
the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 1,1270.
Crockleford, a part of Ardleigh, 2½ miles southwest, has a small Mission church, originally built for a school, where services are held on Sundays. There is also a Methodist chapel.
Ardleigh Crown is a part of Ardleigh lying to the west, and is 3½ miles from Colchester, on a small brook falling into the Colne and on the road from Colchester to Langham.
Railway Station, Police station, Omnibuses run frequently to Colchester daily
Source: Kellys Directory 1933
Back to History of Ardleigh
Are your ancestors from Ardleigh? Why not tell us their story: My Ardleigh Ancestors.