History of Althorne
Althorne, the Corner c1955
Reproduced courtesy of Francis Frith.
History of Althorne >> Description of Althorne in 1933
Description of Althorne in 1933
Althorne is a village and parish, bounded on the south by the river Crouch, and adjoining the road from Maldon to Southminster and Burnham, with a station about half a mile south of the village, on the rSouthminster branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 8 miles south-east from Maldon by road and 4 northwest from Burnham, in the Maldon division of the county, Dengie hundred and petty sessional division, Maldon rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Dengie, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese.
The church of St. Andrew, which stands on an eminence, is a building of flint and stone, in the Late Perpendicular style, [in the time of] Henry VII, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of flint and stone containing 2 bells. In the church is an ancient and remarkable carved font; and there are brasses to William Hyklott, of Althorne, at whose cost the walls of the church were built, ob, 16 September, 1508; to Margaret Hyklott, ob. 27 August, 1502, and to John Wilson and John Hill. There is also an ancient inscription on the exterior over the west door. In 1884-5 the church was repaired at a cost of £680, under the direction of H. Hardwicke Langston A.R.I.B.A. and has 200 sittings.
The register of marriages dates from 1734; baptisms and burials, 1735. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Creeksea, joint net yearly value £394, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1908 by the Rev. William Shaw-Stewart, of the Royal University of Ireland, who is a surrogate.
Here is a Methodist chapel, a mission room and a parish room, which is used for various purposes. The Church hall, erected in 1909 at a cost of £650, will seat 250 persons. There are no manorial rights.
The soil is strong clayey loam; subsoil, clay. The land is mainly pasturage, the agriculture being dairy produce. The area is 2,242 acres of land and inland water, 155 of tidal water and 92 of foreshore; the population in 1931 was 394.
Bridgemarsh Island, on the river Crouch, is partly in this parish; the remaining portion which was in the parish of Latchingdon is now submerged.
Conveyance. Motor omnibus service to Burnham, Maldon and Southminster, daily.
Source: Kellys Directory 1933
Back to History of Althorne