History of Althorne
St Andrews Church, Althorne.
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Althorne >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ALTHORNE is a pleasant village, in two detached portions, one near the marshes, and the other on an acclivity on the north side of the vale of the Crouch, 4 miles North West of Burnham, and 7 miles South East by South of Maldon.
Its parish contains 418 souls, and 2250A. 2R. 5P. of land, including part of Bridge Marsh, a narrow island, more than two miles long, in the river Crouch, and mostly in Latchingdon parish.
At Domesday Survey, Althorne was in two estates, called Altenai and Eltenai, held by Suene of Essex and the Earl of Boulogne.
Althorne Hall, now occupied by his farm-bailiff, belongs to Thomas Francis Wilson, Esq., who owns a great part of the parish. The rest belongs to Richard, Gardener, Mrs. Buxton, and several smaller owners, and includes estates called Stoke Hall, Hayrons, etc. Bridge Marsh belongs to Mr. Purkiss, and Ash Cottage is the pleasant seat of T.D.F. Tatham, Esq.
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a small plain structure, which was appropriated to St. Osyth Priory. It has tower and two bells. 1n the nave is a curious antique font, and on the floor are some memorials of the Hyklott family, who flourished here in the 16th century.
The living is discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14, and united with the rectory of Cricksea. The tithes were commuted in 1838, the vicarial for £156.12s.6d., and the rectorial for £455. The latter belong to the principal landowners. The glebe here is 5A. 2R. 31P., and the Parsonage is a good house, near the church.
The poor parishioners have £1.18s.5d yearly, from William Ayletts Charity.
Back to History of Althorne