History of Abbess Roding
Abbess Roding Church
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Abbess Roding >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ROOTHING, (Abbots) or Roding-Abbess, is a parish of scattered houses, at the north end of this Hundred, 6 miles North by East of Chipping Ongar, adjacent to eight other Roothings, or Rodings, which are intersected by and have their common name from the river Roding.
This parish contains only 1575A. of land, and 254 inhabitants, of whom 126 are in Berwick hamlet, which is situated in Dunmow Hundred.
It is in three manors. Abbess or Abbots Hall, the principal manor, was long held by the Abbess Of Barking Nunnery, and is now the property of T.W. Branston, Esq., M.P.
The manor of Berwick was long held by the Berners and Bourchier families, and is now the property of Lord Dacre.
W.N. Clay, Esq., and a few smaller copyholders have estates here. The soil is mostly freehold, and the copyholds are subject to arbitary fines.
The Church (St.Edmund,) is a small antique fabric, with a wooden belfry, containing three bells, and surmounted by a small spire.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14.10s., and in 1831 at £343, is in the gift of Capel Cure, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Dyer, M.A., who has an old residence, and 19A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for £450 per annum.
Here is an Independent Chapel, which will seat about 800 hearers, and was built in 1730, on land given by Mr. Springham, who then held Cockerell's farm. Dr.Watts was one of the contributors to the building, and the congregation originated in 1698, with the Rev. Samuel Pomfret, an eminent minister in London, who for the benefit of his health often visited Rockwood Hall, then a considerable mansion.
Mr. Springham also endowed the chapel with two cottages, now converted in to a respectable public-house, for the accommodation of the congregation, most of whom come from a considerable distance. The Rev. Charles Bateman, of Fyfield, is their present pastor.
The parish clerk has 40s. a year out of a house called Fawkeners, left by Nicholas Burton, in 1678.
Back to History of Abbess Roding