More newspaper titles have been added to the collection of Essex newspapers on the British Newspaper Archive.
The additional titles are:
- · Saffron Walden Weekly News 1850 – 1899 157 issues
- · Southend Standard and Essex Weekly Advertiser 1850 to 1949 1872 issues
- · Colchester Gazette: 1870 to 1889 180 issues
These are now added to an impressive number of existing titles – all available for researching your family tree and local history.
- · Essex Standard: 1831 to 1900 4,245 issues
- · Essex Newsman: 1870 to 1950 4,554 issues
- · Essex Herald: 1828 to 1899 3,828 issues
- · Chelmsford Chronicle: 1783 to 1950 6,378 issues
- · Waltham Abbey and Cheshunt Weekly Telegraph: 1883 to 1896 156 issues
- · Grays and Tilbury Gazette, and Southend Telegraph: 1889 to 1908 573 issues
The British Newspaper Archive is a pay-to-view site; various packages are available, but sometimes they do offer introductory free articles or periods of time. The British Newspaper Archive was launched in 2011 and is a partnership between the British Library and DC Thomson Family History Limited who also own Findmypast. Their aim is to digitise up to 40 million newspaper pages from the British Library’s vast collection by 2021. Already millions of pages have been scanned.
The archive can also be accessed in certain subscription options on Findmypast.co.uk.
If you are unsure about searching the archive, try our example search to get you started.